COFFEE ROASTER for George Foreman Rotisserie Baby Big Jr.

Jimmy Marcuchi

New member
Jul 29, 2005
6
0
I'm looking to buy another roaster for home use, (see my brightway industries post) and I've noticed this roaster in another post with this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/COFFEE-ROASTER-Geor ... dZViewItem
I'm wondering if anyone here has one and can let me know how well it actually works. I read eight pages of their buyer feedback, but for the most part they're posted by people who were thrilled with quick delivery, having not even used it yet. I'm interested in knowing : roasting time, evenness
of roast and how is the chaff separated.
Thank you,
Jimmy
 

speckassassin

New member
Jan 28, 2006
17
0
North Georgia
just got one

I got one for my birthday. I have been very happy with it. I did have to modify my Rotisserie. It was taking 40 minutes to get to a full city roast. I had to move the heating element from the back of the rotisserie to the bottom. It only takes 15 minutes for a full city roast now.

Good luck!
 

speckassassin

New member
Jan 28, 2006
17
0
North Georgia
No! I dump the beans in a bowl and swirl them around in front of a floor fan. The wind separates the chaff from the beans. I am sure there's a better way, but I am working on more important things.

Just in case you did not know, this is an outside or in the shed roaster. With that being said, the temperture outside can dramatically affect the roasting time. And do not use an extension cord, it will affect the performance of the roaster.

I hope this helps - good luck.
 

BeanGrinder

New member
Aug 11, 2004
176
0
North Georgia, USA
speckassassin said:
No! I dump the beans in a bowl and swirl them around in front of a floor fan. The wind separates the chaff from the beans. I am sure there's a better way, but I am working on more important things.

Just in case you did not know, this is an outside or in the shed roaster. With that being said, the temperture outside can dramatically affect the roasting time. And do not use an extension cord, it will affect the performance of the roaster.

I hope this helps - good luck.

What kind of beans are you roasting this week?
 

speckassassin

New member
Jan 28, 2006
17
0
North Georgia
Some cheap green beans this guy gave me last weekend. :) .... I am using Guatemalan Coban - El Tirol. It was toooo cold to roast in my shed Saturday, so I talked my wife into letting me roast inside. I did not smoke the house up too bad. Just another reason why I need the YM-2 ...

We had a great time - check your email when you get a chance. When you get bored with that automatic roaster, come over to my house and I'll show you what a "real" manly roaster looks like. :)
 

speckassassin

New member
Jan 28, 2006
17
0
North Georgia
Has anybody tried to blow hot air into a rotisserie roaster? I was thinking about hooking up a popcorn popper or something that would pump hot air into the roaster. I was thinking this might make it act more like a convection oven. It might also distribute the heat from the heating element more evenly throughout the roaster.

I do not think it would win a beauty contest. :D Of course, I am more consider about how the beans taste when they are roasted than what my roaster looks like...

Any thoughts?????
 

Roasterdude

New member
Mar 28, 2006
2
0
Re: just got one

speckassassin said:
I got one for my birthday. I have been very happy with it. I did have to modify my Rotisserie. It was taking 40 minutes to get to a full city roast. I had to move the heating element from the back of the rotisserie to the bottom. It only takes 15 minutes for a full city roast now.

Good luck!

Thanks for the modification info . I did my first roast in a Baby George and it works great (1 full pound, very even espresso roast). But it did take 45 minutes. Was the moving of the heating element difficult? Are the existing wires long enough? Any help/advice would be appreciated. For anyone out there, the rotisserie is the way to go. I threw out my Popcorn poppers!
Thanks
 

speckassassin

New member
Jan 28, 2006
17
0
North Georgia
I'll take some pictures of the mods this weekend and post them. It is very simple, but it is just a hack. :oops: 40 minutes is a long time - did they taste baked? What type of beans?
 

Roasterdude

New member
Mar 28, 2006
2
0
speckassassin said:
I'll take some pictures of the mods this weekend and post them. It is very simple, but it is just a hack. :oops: 40 minutes is a long time - did they taste baked? What type of beans?

45 minutes seemed a little too long. I stopped a minute or two after the 2nd crack. I could have stopped a few minutes earlier, but I like strong, bold flavor. I bought 12 lbs on eBay a few months ago (Blue Bell Mountain) and it took me a while to find a Baby George at a garage sale for $5.00 (new condition). I got the drum from Coffee Roasters Club (eBay again) for $39.99. This guy makes a high quality, well made drum that fits perfectly into the Baby George. For $45.00 bucks, I have a roaster that is fantastic. I just want to get the roast time down a bit. Thanks for your pics and I will give that a try. I did tilt the machine while roasting, but moving the element to the bottom makes better sense.
 

Marianne

New member
Dec 30, 2014
1
0
Hi, my son is doing the mechanics on this so he wants to know how to modify the rotisserie like you did. We have a baby George and he wanted more info on how you do this.

thanks
 
Top