Cold Brew!

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I used to buy coffee extract from Michael Sivitz, but he did not use cold brew extraction. His extract could be added to hot water and make a cup of coffee that closely mimicked the real deal. Added to cream or ice cream, it was pretty darn good. I know this doesn't answer the question...just like to type...

If I am not mistaken this is the patent he had for that extract: Patent US3830940 - Preparation of aqueous beverage concentrate of coffee - Google Patents

Len

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If I am not mistaken this is the patent he had for that extract: Patent US3830940 - Preparation of aqueous beverage concentrate of coffee - Google Patents

Len

Holy Crap Len....I never thought to look for a patent. I don't know why he would have filed one as I didn't think he ever sold the extraction equipment...you know, for the same reason Coca Cola never filed for their recipe, once the cat is out of the bag, then everyone knows your secret. Anyway...I have a real interest in producing coffee extract but kinda felt like it was easier to first learn how to roast and then take it from there. OMG...thank you thank you thank you....lol!

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Holy Crap Len....I never thought to look for a patent. I don't know why he would have filed one as I didn't think he ever sold the extraction equipment...you know, for the same reason Coca Cola never filed for their recipe, once the cat is out of the bag, then everyone knows your secret. Anyway...I have a real interest in producing coffee extract but kinda felt like it was easier to first learn how to roast and then take it from there. OMG...thank you thank you thank you....lol!

Maybe he thought it would be a huge seller and was afraid of copycats. Or maybe he did it just to see if he could. It is a bid odd to go through all that patent trouble and not mass market it afterward.

Len

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe Michael Sivitz invented the fluid bed roaster. He licensed his patent to companies like Nestle. I'm sure he did the same with this. He was very instrumental in the development of soluble coffee, i.e. instant.

SultanBrunei

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Instead of mixing 100 gr coffee beans (grounded) : 700ml water, and having a cold brew coffee concentrate later you can mix with water/ice. How about if I make, for example, 100gr coffee beans (grounded) to 1400ml water, and then later having ready to drink coffee (no need to mix with water) and just maybe mix it with milk...?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Instead of mixing 100 gr coffee beans (grounded) : 700ml water, and having a cold brew coffee concentrate later you can mix with water/ice. How about if I make, for example, 100gr coffee beans (grounded) to 1400ml water, and then later having ready to drink coffee (no need to mix with water) and just maybe mix it with milk...?

It won't be the same. Aside from the beverage aspect, this is an extraction. When you change the parameters, i.e. the ratio of coffee grounds to water, the result would be different, maybe better, maybe worse. You would do well to first adjust your grind and/or contact time, and see where that goes. A concentrate will be easier to store and use on demand than the finished product imo...

sjmyst

Oct 26, 2015
Allen, Texas
Visit site
Hi,

As the risk of being booed off the forum for self promotion (hopefully not bad form since I think I'm answering some of the questions), I wrote an article that talks about several techniques for cold brewing. The categories I cover includes Straight Cold Brew, Hot Brew then Cool, Coffee Frappé (similar to what Starbucks calls Frappuccino), and an instant Jamaica shaker. I can't say it includes step by step instructions. But, there are some helpful tips. It includes some pictures as well:

How To Make Homemade Iced Coffee - Coffee Bean Menu

Don't forget to look down at the Enhancements section where there's an "adult" (includes Vodka) recipe. It's dangerously delicious.

Regards,
sjmyst

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi,

As the risk of being booed off the forum for self promotion (hopefully not bad form since I think I'm answering some of the questions), I wrote an article that talks about several techniques for cold brewing. The categories I cover includes Straight Cold Brew, Hot Brew then Cool, Coffee Frappé (similar to what Starbucks calls Frappuccino), and an instant Jamaica shaker. I can't say it includes step by step instructions. But, there are some helpful tips. It includes some pictures as well:

How To Make Homemade Iced Coffee - Coffee Bean Menu

Don't forget to look down at the Enhancements section where there's an "adult" (includes Vodka) recipe. It's dangerously delicious.

Regards,
sjmyst

You may want to take a look at that webpage.

It looks like a couple of the ads aren't showing up.

Of course, I don't mind, because I hate looking at webpages that have tons of ads on them. It's very annoying and distracting.

Rose

___________________________________________________________________________________

Your webpage has boxes that say:

Your ad here was suppressed by

Easy AdSense Pro.

Reason:
Banned IP 173.64.198.248

Last edited:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Since the new Tasting Wheel and Lexicon was released by the SCAA and ongoing coffee research, here are my thoughts, Tweeted earlier this week, on the depth and complexity of cold brew.
Please note that this is for professional use only. :coffee:

cbt_triangle.gif

sjmyst

Oct 26, 2015
Allen, Texas
Visit site
PinkRose,

Thank you for the heads up regarding the AdSense block that isn't showing up. It's likely a caching plugin that is doing this (I have been wondering if the caching plugin did this and you have confirmed it for me). I'm sorry you feel like the page has too many ads. I try to follow guidelines for a "minimalist" number of ads (two ad blocks total on the page and in the "recommended" places). I see two ads on this forum, but I guess maybe they are positioned "better"? I guess I should re-think my strategy for ad placement (it's not working great anyway). I do appreciate the feedback.

Anyway, I hope the cold brew content was at least helpful for the question asked (if you got past the broken ads).

Regards,
sjmyst

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
PinkRose,

Thank you for the heads up regarding the AdSense block that isn't showing up. It's likely a caching plugin that is doing this (I have been wondering if the caching plugin did this and you have confirmed it for me). I'm sorry you feel like the page has too many ads. I try to follow guidelines for a "minimalist" number of ads (two ad blocks total on the page and in the "recommended" places). I see two ads on this forum, but I guess maybe they are positioned "better"? I guess I should re-think my strategy for ad placement (it's not working great anyway). I do appreciate the feedback.

Anyway, I hope the cold brew content was at least helpful for the question asked (if you got past the broken ads).

Regards,
sjmyst

I'm glad you figured out what was happening.

I didn't exactly say that you have too many ads on your webpage, I just mentioned that I hate looking at webpages that have tons of ads on them. A couple of ads are okay, but even on this Coffee Forums webpage, sometimes there are more than that, and it get's to be pretty annoying.

You did have some interesting content for cold brew recipes that I'm sure people will find helpful. The photos made me crave an iced mocha with lots of whipped cream, and I don't even drink iced coffee.

Rose

sand442man

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
We do cold brew at our coffee shop. We use kegs and nitrogen to propel it out of the tap an into cups with ice. This has worked great, however, we started having a problem with the cold brew going sour in our kegs. We have cleaned the lines, professionally, cleaned the kegs, only use distilled water... I just can't figure out why its souring. Do you have any suggestions? I'm completely lost as to why. It stays refrigerated at all times. We do brew it toddy method in a commercial refrigerator and if we keep it in glass containers it seems to stay just fine. Do you think the kegs are reacting with the acidity?
Help! :)

Maybe you have this problem figured out by now. But I'll pipe in anyways. I too had my coffee go sour in the kegs after a day or so. Then I switched to 100% nitrogen instead of the 75/25 Nitro/co2 beer gas and I have not had an issue since. Conclusion is the Co2 was souring the coffee. Not sure if you are running 100% or not. I did have to add a carbonating stone to my kegs to get the nitrogen to absorb into the coffee. Now I get a nice cascading "Guinness" like pour.

HoneyDew

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
A fridge would be better as far as the coffee not being diluted when the ice melts. I doubt that the flavor would be different if kept at room temps, and don't think the concentrate will go bad either, but would suggest keeping it cold to be sure.
For how long out of the fridge would you say it is safe? My gf had some bad experience in the summer as the coffee was out of the fridge for only one day, it grew mould ^^' She would not like to keep it on the fridge as it would get the 'fridge taste'.