'Crazy' Topic: Doomsday Coffee

lizthorn

Alright, first of all let me start by saying that I want to keep this light-hearted.

I hope that this doesn't offend anybody, but I wanted to share a little bit about myself.

First of all, I'm a total coffee fanatic! Just like most of you in here. I've never really considered myself an 'expert' in coffee, but my husband and all of my friends tell me I'm a little obsessed (lol).

Ok, now here's where it might get a little embarrassing. My husband and I, after putting our 3 kids to bed at night, have developed a secret little fixation for "Doomsday Preppers" and similar type shows.

We don't take them super seriously, as we tend to be fairly optimistic people in life, but we have made a little 'hobby' out of some of the action plans that these shows suggest. We spend some of our weekend time (mostly for fun) coming up with 'bug out' action plans, in case of some sort of disaster, and we have a section of our basement where we stockpile non-perishable food and other supplies for a 'rainy day'.

As a girl who can't get through one full day without coffee I had a long disagreement with my S.O. the other day, on whether or not it would be a 'necessity' item in a survival situation. My argument was an absolute 'yes'.... He just could not agree, and said it was an optional luxury.

Well, I got a little carried away, spent several hours doing research, and then threw together this fact sheet to try and convince him I was right! So with out further ado, (and reading my disclaimers above) here's what I created..

uSMjICY.jpg

Again, I hope this doesn't offend anybody!

I certainly don't want to get into political arguments of any kind.

Like I said, it's mostly a 'hobby' for us :coffee:, but a lot of what we have learned just seems to make sense and be prudent to do.

What about you guys? What are your 'must haves' in case of the apocalypse? :decaf:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
yes, it is kind of crazy thing about the coffee when doomsday comes.
I love coffee and actually I am in the business of selling green beans from Guatemala.
however, when the day comes, I rather stock up caffeine pills than coffee!

Interesting post!
thanks Lizthorn.

lizthorn

You mentioned that coffee had been a valuable currency since the early 1500s.
Are you talking about Egyptians in that era?

Thanks so much for your kind feedback!

No the Egyptians would've been much before then. The 1500s was when it became mainstream in Europe (via merchants in Venice). But actually, in other parts of the world (such as the Americas) the history is much older than that.

lizthorn

Green coffee beans would be their weight in gold if some doomsday apocalypse happens

Agreed!

It might not even take a full doomsday style scenario, but just some major climate shifts to throw certain varieties into peril possibly even into extinction. Look at the droughts already happening in Brazil, which have had major implications on the coffee market.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for your kind feedback!

No the Egyptians would've been much before then. The 1500s was when it became mainstream in Europe (via merchants in Venice). But actually, in other parts of the world (such as the Americas) the history is much older than that.

hi lizthorn, as what I know, the coffee plants/seeds came into Martinique early 1700s and spread all over the places.
are you talking about green beans or roasted beans coming to America from Europe? Still it shouldn't be earlier than Europe....

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Though I am not a prepper, it is hard to fault a person for wanting the security of knowing they can be self sufficient for some period of time in an emergency. And, if I have to face a hard day of fighting zombies, or whatever, you can bet I want to start that day with my morning coffee!

Ensoluna's idea of caffeine tablets is certainly the practical solution, but he is going to be green with envy when he is swallowing bitter pills watching me sipping my hot, freshly brewed Yirgecheffe!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Ensoluna's idea of caffeine tablets is certainly the practical solution, but he is going to be green with envy when he is swallowing bitter pills watching me sipping my hot, freshly brewed Yirgecheffe!

ha ha ha.. Yes, I will be green with Envy. and also you are very right about me being a very practical man. I have seen hundreds of doomsday/zombie movies, but I have never seen anyone alive or dead, drinking pipping hot, fresh brewed Yirgecheffe (not to mention just horrible Robusta :+).

I guess that when the time comes, I will be happy with my caffeine pills and probably I will save some Instant coffee! (but not the Nescafe.... probably Taster's choice)

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
...I guess that when the time comes, I will be happy with my caffeine pills and probably I will save some Instant coffee! (but not the Nescafe.... probably Taster's choice)

All the while I am teasing you, and letting you "suffer" just a little, I will be brewing you a big mug from my stash. The only thing better than enjoying good coffee is sharing it with someone who appreciates it. We'll deal with the zombies later.