Decaf Beans?

RHinCT

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
First time poster here.

My wife drinks all the coffee, but I do all the shopping. Until recently I was buying her BJ's Warehouse house brand Columbian Decaf, whole bean, labelled as 100% Arabica. 65 grams by weight through the Capresso burr grinder per pot (Hamilton Beach BrewStation). My wife, not a connoisseur but a life long coffee drinker, was very happy, so I was happy too.

Of course BJ's changed everything and no longer has any whole-bean decaf. :-(

My next try was at Costco (notice a trend here?) where I only found one whole-bean decaf, again their house brand. Kirkland Signature (roasted by Starbucks) Decaffeinated House Blend, Medium Roast, Whole Bean. No labeling regarding Arabica or Robusta, and that word Blend is not encouraging. My wife rates it no better than OK, speculating that perhaps a darker roast would be better but not sure the problem isn't something else. I have to do better than that!

One other note on my wife's taste in coffee. She received a small package of Kona beans (not decaf, not "blend") from family vacationing in Hawaii. She loved it, and rationed it out for when her best friend was coming over.

As you may guess from my shopping at warehouse chains I want to get my money's worth. But I don't see why that must conflict with my wife getting a really good cup of coffee.

Our current intention is that our next purchase will be from Amazon, most likely the "Coffee Bean Direct Decaf Colombian, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag", $38 for 5 lb. We don't have to order it quite yet, so I thought I would seek some knowledgeable guidance. So I came here.

(Between the weighing and the grinding we have reached our limit on coffee getting complicated.)

Thanks!
RH in CT

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Look for a water processed decaf if you desire the best tasting product, IMO. However, that decaf method might cost more than you are willing to pay.

We are currently roasting a Mexican decaf that tastes great but might be out of your budget at $14.95/lb. Any local roaster should have something similar. Put it up against the cheap bulk beans you are currently purchasing and I'm willing to bet you will be able to tell the difference.

lw

RHinCT

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice on water-processed.

Looking again on Amazon, Coffee Bean Direct also offers Swiss water processed "Decaf SWP Organic Mexican City Roast, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag" for about $46, not a big difference in price. For the same price they have a CO2 processed Columbian. I've never heard of a CO2 decaffeinating process before.

RH

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely try out the water processed mexican beans at that price.

On the other hand, unless you are drinking a ton of coffee, those beans will prolly be a bit faded by the time she finishes a 5 lb. bag.

RHinCT

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Good point on the bag size. I checked and the bags we can't get any longer were 2.5 lb.

I also looked for local roasters, but our part of CT - neither urban nor high income - appears to be quite free of them.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have to let you know this bad news.
You can't have both great taste and cheap price.
If you want great tasting beef, you don't go to McDonald or Burger King.
So why waste your time shopping at grocery store for your coffee.

I would definitely try Eldubs coffee. Or some local roaster with good reputation. Paying 15 dollars per pound is not bad. How many does she drinks a day? I am sure it won't be much and you don't even drink. Trying to save few penny a day is not worth scarifying the taste.

If i were you, I would look for smaller bag and buy often. So your coffee will be fresh every time you brew a cup.

Good Luck

RHinCT

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't eat at McDonalds or Burger King these days. When I buy a steak it is on sale at the supermarket.

Local sounded good, so I searched Google for local coffee roasters. The closest is a half hour drive to a place I avoid. The next few are 45 minute drives. So much for local.

I will look into mail order, beyond Amazon.

Thanks!

RH

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I didn't say you eat at the McDonald. ;)

If you can't find decent roaster near by, try to purchase some online coffee roasters. There are tons of them out there and some are priced very nicely.

Good Luck