El Socorro - Yellow Reserve

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Last weekend it was time for me to try one of the new vendors on my list so I started going thru my bookmarks and ended up ordering some El Socorro Yellow Reserve from PT's Coffee. While I don't pretend to be any kind of expert one thing I can say is I'm sure glad I decided to try different beans from different vendors.

The first thing I noticed was the smell, it really smelled sweet, I can't pinpoint it yet, I just got thru drinking my first cup but as the water hit the coffee I could really smell chocolate milk and was surprised to see that it even had a hint of this in the taste and got a little stronger as it started to cool. The other thing that stands out is the mouth feel, the texture was more like half and half compared to the way 2% would feel and the taste seems to linger longer than any coffee I've had. It definitely tastes sweeter than what I'm use to and does not have a dry finish, it is very smooth while still having a lot of flavor.

As I said I've only had one cup so I have to run thru the my usual experimenting with grind and I like to increase the amount of beans a bit to see if I can get more flavor. This weekend I will get out the chemex and see what happens.

I usually grind some and take it to a co worker but this stuff may be to good to share:lol:

Hopefully as time goes by I will understand more on all this as I try different beans.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Last weekend it was time for me to try one of the new vendors on my list so I started going thru my bookmarks and ended up ordering some El Socorro Yellow Reserve from PT's Coffee. While I don't pretend to be any kind of expert one thing I can say is I'm sure glad I decided to try different beans from different vendors.

The first thing I noticed was the smell, it really smelled sweet, I can't pinpoint it yet, I just got thru drinking my first cup but as the water hit the coffee I could really smell chocolate milk and was surprised to see that it even had a hint of this in the taste and got a little stronger as it started to cool. The other thing that stands out is the mouth feel, the texture was more like half and half compared to the way 2% would feel and the taste seems to linger longer than any coffee I've had. It definitely tastes sweeter than what I'm use to and does not have a dry finish, it is very smooth while still having a lot of flavor.

As I said I've only had one cup so I have to run thru the my usual experimenting with grind and I like to increase the amount of beans a bit to see if I can get more flavor. This weekend I will get out the chemex and see what happens.

I usually grind some and take it to a co worker but this stuff may be to good to share:lol:

Hopefully as time goes by I will understand more on all this as I try different beans.
Awesome! El Socorro farm in Palencia, Guatemala is a great farm. they won several CoE Guatemala and one of farms also we work with. Just like mike at Encore/Musicphan, it is such a great feeling that I find some of forum members using the coffee where our company work with. This farm make some of the best micro lots in Guatemala.

Can you send us some link where you bought that from?
When I go back home, I would like to order for myself and family.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I actually ordered this thru go coffee go, they say all members roast to order and have it in three days. Be warned there is a bit of sticker shock involved but I've decided in order to get good fresh coffee it may cost a bit more and I'm ok with this.

https://www.gocoffeego.com/products/PTs-Coffee/El-Socorro-Yellow-Reserve-5310.html

Here is their site http://ptscoffee.com

They also have couple other beans from El Socorro, about half way down the page https://www.gocoffeego.com/roaster/PTs-Coffee-18.html

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually ordered this thru go coffee go, they say all members roast to order and have it in three days. Be warned there is a bit of sticker shock involved but I've decided in order to get good fresh coffee it may cost a bit more and I'm ok with this.

https://www.gocoffeego.com/products/PTs-Coffee/El-Socorro-Yellow-Reserve-5310.html

Here is their site http://ptscoffee.com

They also have couple other beans from El Socorro, about half way down the page https://www.gocoffeego.com/roaster/PTs-Coffee-18.html
Thanks for the info. i just realized that it is Pacamara Honey. Definitely micro lot, so $22 / 12oz can be justified. because last year, I sold Pacamara Honey (from Finca La Rudas) to my Taiwan customer around mid $5 per pound range. so I am sure that it is around 87 to 88 point, good micro lot. Pacamara Honey has very distinctive taste. Not as strong as Pacamara natural, but you can immediately tell it is Pacamara Honey or Natural.

anyway, thanks for quick reply Duffy.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Thanks for the info. i just realized that it is Pacamara Honey. Definitely micro lot, so $22 / 12oz can be justified. because last year, I sold Pacamara Honey (from Finca La Rudas) to my Taiwan customer around mid $5 per pound range. so I am sure that it is around 87 to 88 point, good micro lot. Pacamara Honey has very distinctive taste. Not as strong as Pacamara natural, but you can immediately tell it is Pacamara Honey or Natural.

anyway, thanks for quick reply Duffy.

I actually just noticed you said it is the Pacamara Honey, mine was the Yellow Reserver ($16 for 12oz).

But what I came back for was to ask you about the caffeine, this Yellow Reserve doesn't seem to have quite as much caffeine in it as what I'm use to. Is it a trait of this type of bean to be lower in caffeine?

Your other post about caffeine and roast level got me thinking about this. It's also the first coffee I've had where a noticed caffeine difference.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually just noticed you said it is the Pacamara Honey, mine was the Yellow Reserver ($16 for 12oz).

But what I came back for was to ask you about the caffeine, this Yellow Reserve doesn't seem to have quite as much caffeine in it as what I'm use to. Is it a trait of this type of bean to be lower in caffeine?

Your other post about caffeine and roast level got me thinking about this. It's also the first coffee I've had where a noticed caffeine difference.
aha! Yellow Bourbon/Caturra Washed! pretty good. I sell same type of coffee from Finca Colombia, Antigua around $4.30 per pound range for one pound of green beans. So $16 makes sense in retail level.
And as far as the caffeine is concerned, it should be very similar to other beans. pacamara, bourbon (yellow or red) caturra..etc will have similar caffeine contents whether they are processed differently or not. Process (wet, honey / nat) does not change the caffeine content. hope this helps.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Here is the info on different varietal caffeine contents.
Too minor for anyone to notice, actually.

Brazil Bourbons 1.20%
Celebes Kalossi 1.22
Colombia Excelso 1.37
Colombia Supremo 1.37
Costa Rica Tarrazu 1.35
Ethiopian Harrar-Moka 1.13
Guatemala Antigua 1.32
Indian Mysore 1.37
Jamaican Blue Mtn/Wallensford Estate 1.24
Java Estate Kuyumas 1.20
Kenya AA 1.36
Kona Extra Prime 1.32
Mexico Pluma Altura 1.17
Mocha Mattari (Yemen) 1.01
New Guinea 1.30
Panama Organic 1.34
Sumatra Mandheling-Lintong 1.30
Tanzania Peaberry 1.42
Zimbabwe 1.10

by the way, most of above are NOT VARIETIES OF COFFEE. Brazil bourbon, Yes. but Guatemala Antigua is not a coffee varietal. (I got these info from web. whomever the person put this on web is not entirely correct). As example, in Guatemala Antigua region, most common varietal is Bourbon & Caturra. So, maybe that is what he/she wanted to say (but probably not!). Also, Kona Extra Prime is more likely Typica.

anyway, the bottom line is that the varietals are not really determining factor for caffeine UNLESS IT IS ROBUSTA BEANS! which is almost twice more caffeine than Arabica.

Last edited: