Honey Vanilla Late

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
I always get this drink at Borders Bookstore and found out that they will no longer be making it. I was wondering, how common is this drink at other places such as starbucks (yeah i know, i said the "big bad word, starbucks"), barnes, or indie coffee shops. I know that most places have a vanilla late but I've never seen a HONEY vanilla late. Would all they have to do is just add honey? Just wondering b/c I'd really like to continue getting this drink since Border's won't make it anymore. Thanks.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey cuppED:

That is a fairly common drink. Some may call it different things. However just tell your local espresso place what you want. Whatever size Honey (real honey) Vanilla Latte. They should be able to hook you up :wink:

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Would they just make a vanilla latte and drizzle honey on top, b/c that's not what I want? I think I saw Borders mix the honey and vanilla together and then do whatever to it to make it a latte.

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
I just came back from Starbucks to see if they knew how to make my Honey Vanilla Latte (normally I get it from Borders but they're discontinuing it :( ). I ordered it and at first they were like, "uuuuhhhhh", she turned around to see if it was on the menu, hahahahaha. Then I told her it's just vanilla and honey mixed together and then do the latte part. They didn't even have honey at the back so I had to get 3 packs of it from the free sugar and cream area.
So I got my drink and started to drink it and yeah, it wasn't even close to Border's, in fact, all the honey dripped to the bottom of the cup and so when I was done with the drink, it was nothing but honey going into my mouth at the end, hahahahaha, I don't know how Border's keeps the honey from going to the bottom, they seem to mix it pretty well.
This is nothing against Starbucks b/c I'm pretty sure any other place would do the same, I just wanted to see how close other coffee shops could make the drink it but it seems like they really can't. I give an A for effort though, hahaha.

javaluva

May 15, 2005
USA
Visit site
I could be wrong, and if I am please correct me, but doesn't STARBUCKS own Borders coffee spots? I am pretty sure ours does. Thanks. We don't always carry honey. First of all it, costs more, and we only do it as a special. I do make a very mean honey vanilla latte, but I use real honey. The recently came out with a honey from a pump, which seemed like a good idea, but they (consumers) found out it got dtuck in the pump and it made a really big mess. Ask them why they don't make it anymore! Maybe if you are a local and regular, they'll get it for you.

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
I don't think Starbucks own's Borders but I do know that Borders is selling Seattle's Best Coffee. I know that Border's uses the honey in a pump thing and I never saw it get messy, and I know that's what they use for their Honey Vanilla Latte too.
Javaluva, if your in Dallas let me know, maybe I can swing by and try some of your honey vanilla latte!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
well don't take the word of others...try it yourself! I stand by monin...and have done so over the last 10 years...why did they say it was junk...that is such a vague statement.

javaluva

May 15, 2005
USA
Visit site
First of all I must comment on topher, IF YOUR NOT GOING TO TAKE THE WORDS FROM OTHERS, THEN WHY ARE WE TALKING TO EACHOTHER? I do agree, you should try it for yourself, but as I stated above, I was told it gets stuck in the pump, honey is very sticky anyway, and why would you pay for the packaging? I wouldn't. I go with the real thing. It is my opinion, aren't 98% of the comments on here? I don't waste my money, and the people that I talk to are very reputable, and I value their opinions, just like I value your opinion, but try it. The monin came out about 6 months ago, it's not very popular today, so I feel that speaks for itself. :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
wow...let me try and re-word this...I have personally tried the product..and it is great. You said that everyone who has tried it says it is a pain. Well now you have spoken with someone who likes it :wink: Any syrup you use will gum up pumps after a period of time. You should really be cleaning them everynight. If not you could run into the problem of bugs...syrups are basically sugar based. Yes you could use the real deal..but the thing is the monin mixes and blends better than pure honey..oh well like always I didn't mean to strike a nerve..oh well do this...make 2 drinks..one with monin..and one with real honey..let the drink sit for a minute...then drink it..at the end of your drinking experience..you will find no syrup at the end of your drink from the monin...from the true honey drink...you will find true honey at the end of your drink...not trying to be pushy..don't make money off monin..no...oh well good luck..
Topher

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Whoa, didn't think my HONEY vanilla latte would turn into a "STICKY" situation, hahahaha. Javaluva, Topher and all other posters, thanks for your opinions and the only way I'll ever enjoy my HVL would be to simply make it on my own and experiment. I'll be the judge of the Monin Honey and if I like it, GREAT, if I don't, at least I tried it. Thanks again everyone!