Hot Top Drum Roaster Info

GeledaBeans

Feb 3, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
Looking at buying a nice home roaster. I like the I Roast II, but my budget can up a bit more & I really like the Hot Top drum roaster. Is this roaster any good? Is it easy to use(I'm gonna get the digital one)? Does it create nice even, quality roastes, etc?

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
I dont use one, however one of the best resources on home roasting would have to be Sweet Marias at http://www.sweetmarias.com/ you will find reviews and much more. They also sale many of the roasters and equipment for that, including the Hot Top. Hope that helps....

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
OK, sorry, well on the flip side if money is not a problem, I believe that Probat and maybe a few others have micro rosters that have all the features of the pro's, but on a 1 lb (I think) batch size. But they are salty IMVHO. But from what I have heard, the Hot Top is one of the better ones for home roasting. Never owned one though. Roast Happy.....

batzilla

Nov 13, 2006
South Carolina
Visit site
I just purchased a Hottop and got a beautiful roast the first time. It is very easy to use and gives a good, even roast. I have had a problem, though. On my third roast, the machine just quit about 9 minutes into the roast around 300 F. I had to try several times to finally get the machine to turn back on so I could eject the beans.

I got technical service and found out that there is a microswitch that is operated by the chaf collector drawer. I took the drawer out and put it back in and started another roast. It did the same thing. This has happened three times and I'm waiting to find out what to do next.

I'm not convinced it's the microswitch. I may just have a bad machine.

But I really like it!!! If I could get the bugs out. :)

coffeeroastersclub6

Nov 30, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
GeledaBeans said:
Looking at buying a nice home roaster. I like the I Roast II, but my budget can up a bit more & I really like the Hot Top drum roaster. Is this roaster any good? Is it easy to use(I'm gonna get the digital one)? Does it create nice even, quality roastes, etc?

My feeling is that the Hottop (at $900+) is fairly overpriced for what you are getting.

Many other machines are out there that match the performance of a Hottop, at much less $$$.

Len

Bullfrog

Jul 31, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
GeledaBeans said:

I've had mine for just a short time and I'm certainly no expert, but I really like it. I have a variac and am roasting at 125v. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Cheers