How much cream and sugar?

cuppajoe

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Wow, that''s a little too much for me. When I first started drinking coffee, about 10 years ago, I would put a little cream and a lot of sugar. For the last few years, though, I use a little more cream and a lot less sugar. I actually prefer the non-dairy powdered creamer to the liquid cream, and I think it may be healthier for you, though I''m not sure. I guess the healthiest way is to just drink it black.

Josh

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
for me it really depends on what the coffee taste like. If it's awsome stuff I may drink it black or with maybe half a packet of sugar.
If its bitter and hard to drink without putting on the bitter beer face, I just add cream and sugard accordingly. Not too sweet.
I like my espresso straight, if I get it and it's bad, I just don't drink it. why torture yourself right?
Sometimes if I'm feeling a little foofoo I like a companna.

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
When I am lazy, I just open a pack of 3-in-1 instant coffee and I'm all set. There are times, though, that I prefer my coffee very creamy and sweet and bitter all at the same time! That's when I prepare my own coffee, adjusting according to my taste.

I'm a huge fan of brown sugar, over refined white sugar. :)

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
espressogirl said:
...I'm a huge fan of brown sugar, over refined white sugar. :)

Brown sugar is in fact just refined white sugar, with molasses, thereby adding slightly more minerals and calories. Just because it's brown like whole grain rice or whole wheat, doesn't mean it's a whole food.

Unless you're using sucanat, which truly is an unrefined sugar... It's a darker orange, versus brown. But even sucanat has no significant nutritional advantage over white sugar.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
caffe biscotto said:
[
Brown sugar is in fact just refined white sugar, with molasses, thereby adding slightly more minerals and calories. Just because it's brown like whole grain rice or whole wheat, doesn't mean it's a whole food.

Unless you're using sucanat, which truly is an unrefined sugar... It's a darker orange, versus brown. But even sucanat has no significant nutritional advantage over white sugar.

There are other "natural" brown sugars:

"Natural brown sugar is a name for raw sugar which is a brown sugar produced from the first crystallisation of the sugar cane. As such "natural brown sugar" is free of additional dyes and chemicals. There is more molasses in brown sugar, giving it a higher mineral content. Some natural brown sugars have particular names and characteristics, and are sold as Turbinado sugar, Muscovado, or Demerara sugar.

Turbinado sugar is made by crushing freshly cut sugar cane to obtain a juice, which is evaporated to a thick syrup, and then spun in a centrifuge (thus "turbina-"), which produces characteristic large, light brown, crystals.[5][6] Muscovado (also moscovado) is an unrefined, dark brown sugar that is produced without centrifugation and has much smaller crystals than turbinado sugar. The sugar cane extract is heated to thicken it and then pan-evaporated in the sun and pounded to yield an unprocessed, damp sugar that retains all of the natural minerals.[7] Demerara (also spelled "demerera") sugar's name comes from the Demerera River area of Guyana, where sugar cane was grown. Demerara is another unrefined, centrifuged, large-crystalled, light brown, cane sugar; it is slightly sticky and sometimes molded into sugar cubes. Some Demerara is still produced in South America, but most is now produced in Mauritius, an island off Africa."

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, I never bothered to go deeper into my "brown" sugar. But thanks to all your clarification and added information. They're all appreciated!

Personally, it's the flavor that I like whenever I use "brown" sugar and not really the "health" aspect if any. At times, I use "washed" sugar. Here in my country, we have this "washed sugar" which in color is somewhere between white refined sugar and dark brown sugar.

I have also tried Muscovado and the flavor was also fine with me.

Just talking about coffee makes me wanna get another cup! :wink:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
caffe biscotto said:

Actually you have it backwards. White sugar is just refined from brown sugar. What most people don't realize is white sugar is just put through the spin cycle a few more times removing all of the molasses minus a few trace elements and thus producing white sugar.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Hey, I like brown sugar too. In fact, I like molasses even better. I prefer it over maple syrup on such things as waffles, pancakes, toast, etc. Even better is rice syrup or malted barley syrup. If you like sugar in your coffee, you could try these as well.

But, I think the brown sugar that espressogirl was initially referring to is the brown sugar that has had the natural molasses reintroduced or added back into refined white sugar, thus making brown sugar more of a “processed” food than even refined white sugar. I don’t think she was referring to natural brown sugar.

(BTW - I haven't been receiving topic reply notification emails since we switched servers earlier this month.???)

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
You're right cafe biscotto! That's the brown sugar I'm using. :)

Anybody here familiar with the sweetener used in a coffee shop in Singapore called Kopi Rotti? :) That's condensed milk, right? At times I used that too to sweeten my coffee.