"iced coffee"?

jmeiss

Dec 5, 2005
Lenexa, Kansas
Visit site
Ok - so we get a lot of people wanting an "iced coffee" - but when you ask them to clarify what they want, rarely do they know what it is. Usually they go into some chain or independent shop on a regular basis that might have it on the menu but they really don't know what they're getting.

So - here's the question.... What do you call an "iced coffee" in your shop? Is it a cup of coffee over ice? Is it cold press/toddy over ice? Is it an iced americano? Or something else entirely?

Iced Coffee

I can give you some information, from a New England perspective. Iced Coffee is really big here, and has for many a year. I would estimate that if there is an Iced Coffee Mecca, it's here.

Typically, it is enjoyed with cream and sugar, although not always. Some like it black. But it is sold at Dunkin Donuts and many other outlets automatically prepared with cream and sugar.

First, the brew. The best and simplest way to do this is to double brew. Simply portion twice the usual coffee as your normal brew, into your brew basket. This may be challenging, depending on your brewer and the mill of your grind. Take care that you don't overflow the basket as you brew. Most folks don't appreciate grinds in their iced coffee. If this happens, try using your brewer as a pour-over and go a little more slowly.

You double brew so that when the coffee is poured over ice, it will not dilute when the ice melts. Watery iced coffee is not cool. I suspect that cream and sugar are effective in taking care of inconsistencies with dilution, as the coffee sits in a cup.

You want to cool your brewed coffee in a refrigerator before serving, if possible. Again, you want to avoid watered down coffee. Keep it in the cooler as you serve it. It will stay fresh this way all day long, without a problem. You should not keep it overnight to use a second day. Fresh is always good.

So when you prepare the drink, use a shaker bottle with a lid. Pour in your coffee. Use 1/2 the amount of coffee as your cup will hold. Add half & half or light cream for color and smoothness. Sweeten to taste. At least two teaspoons for a 16oz. Now shake that baby. Shake it well. Froth is good. It looks great in the cup. Pour your bubbly concoction over a full cup of ice. Your ratio should be 50/50 coffee and ice.

If you're selling iced coffee in your cafe, use a crystal clear plastic cup and lid. Iced coffee merchandises really well this way. Don't shy away from large sizes. A small iced coffee is 16oz. A large is 32oz.

Now for profit. If you're a cafe operator, you should keep in mind the double brew. Double brew, double cost. The moderating factor is the dilution with ice. You only use 8oz in a 16oz cup. If your coffee cost is around 1.5 cents per fluid oz. for hot brew, it will be 3 cents per fluid oz. for iced coffee. 3 times 8 is 24. Add cream and sugar and you will easily reach 35.

A typical selling price for a 16oz is $1.99; 32oz $2.99. The 16oz delivers $1.64 GP and 17.6% PC. The 32oz delivers $2.29 GP and 23.4% PC. You've gotta love $2.29 gross profit per drink! It's not even alcoholic!

For some fun and variation in your cafe, add flavored syrups in place of sugar. Hazelnut Iced Coffee is popular. Mocha Iced Coffee too. Add flavors, earn premium prices. Hooray!

Mako

Moccatino

Dec 8, 2007
Devon, England
Visit site
Iced Coffee - Devon uk style

The only way to have Iced Coffee is ''frappee''

Ice
Coffee
milk/single cream
Sugar to taste
Then blend

The proportions are down to personal taste, but it wont get better than this!!

(Sorry about the spelling) :lol:

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
MakoShark is correct about the double brewing but Dunkin Donuts does not automatically prepare the Iced Coffee with cream & sugar. Its prepared as you order it & black until that point. I always get mine with extra cream & no sugar as I hate sweet coffee. Its the only commercial coffee I drink but I do love the DD iced coffee.

pinheadmann

Jan 29, 2008
Brantford, Ontario
Visit site
Iced Coffee mixes or dry mixes?

I am really struggling with this....I just opened a coffee shop, and want to do a better job on the Iced coffees, but they are too watery if I just use the espresso shots on ice, with whatever combination of cream/milk/sugar. I went to the local starbucks tonight, and the used a 'blended coffee' name on their iced drinks - I asked what is was, and they told me it came as a seperately packaged drink, not brewed on site, and they thought it may even be in powder form.

I know this may be against the purest in some coffee people, but are there suppliers out there for this sort of product that we can use to make the iced drinks / frappaccinos with? I understand the earlier discussion about double brewing real coffee for strength, but I don't have the space, staff time, nor storage capabilities for this sort of thing. I would rather buy a product and be done with it...I know its' not the best use of my fancy espresso and coffee machines - but they aren't intended to be used for iced drinks anyway.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
from an "iced coffee" brewing standpoint, I agree with MakoShark.

Many have success with the Toddy method as well.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, :twisted: nothing blended.

Black Dog

May 8, 2007
Visit site
In the past I've always used the brewed coffee method but with my machines I couldn't do 'double strength'. Instead I've made coffee ice cubes with leftover regular coffee and used that to chill regular strength brew.

I just got a Filtron cold brewer in about a week ago and am experimenting with it. So far I like it a lot more! It's definitely more convenient for me and my market helpers to make the iced coffee. The flavor is different and while at first I was skeptical it has quickly grown on me to the point where I prefer it over brewed coffee for a cold drink.
It's very smooth and even moreso when cream is added.

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Cold brew is my favorite base for iced coffee. Toddy brewed overnight makes a stiff brew that needs to be diluted, rather than fully diluting it you can leave it at 3/4 strength and add ice.

Heidi

Nov 9, 2007
Iceland
Visit site
Pur iced coffee is syrup of your choice and double espresso poured over into a coffee cup. Fill the cup up with milk and put into a shaker with ice. Shake several times and pour into a glass filled with ice. Voila, one of our most popular frinks during the summer season.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
Heidi said:
Pur iced coffee is syrup of your choice and double espresso poured over into a coffee cup. Fill the cup up with milk and put into a shaker with ice. Shake several times and pour into a glass filled with ice. Voila, one of our most popular frinks during the summer season.

Sounds more like a cold Latte! Why add syrup?

Iced Cappuccino

Right-O JohnB. Iced Capp.

By the way, my son is a DD Iced Coffee aficionado. He confirmed that here in "the void between my ears" (Maine) they do default to cream and sugar. I personally tried one a few years ago to satisfy my curiosity. It might be a regional thing. Or maybe a franchisee thing. My hope is that they would ask your preference.

I prefer Iced Tea with no lemon or sugar in the summer. After my morning joe, of course

Mako

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
Re: Iced Cappuccino

MakoShark said:
Right-O JohnB. Iced Capp.

By the way, my son is a DD Iced Coffee aficionado. He confirmed that here in "the void between my ears" (Maine) they do default to cream and sugar. I personally tried one a few years ago to satisfy my curiosity. It might be a regional thing. Or maybe a franchisee thing. My hope is that they would ask your preference.

I prefer Iced Tea with no lemon or sugar in the summer. After my morning joe, of course

Mako

Could be a local thing or maybe if you don't tell them what you want that is what you get. I just order it the way I like it & they always come through. Of course now that I've got the Toddy system up & running I'll be buying a lot less DD Iced Coffee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
One of the local cafes in my area takes the old coffee (that would normally be dumped at the end of the night) and puts it in a gallon container and refrigerates it over night to be used as iced coffee the next day. It's poured over ice and served without cream or sugar, and the customer adds whatever her or she wants later.

Sometimes when they don't sell that batch of iced coffee, it stays in the refrigerator and is used the next day. Yuck!

Rose