Introductions

sal930

Jan 13, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Hi Richard - you should reach out to Dave Baldwin at Furnace Hills Coffee in Westminster, MD. He might be a good person for you to speak with. Best of luck!

Hi folks, My name is Richard from Vermont, U.S. and I am in the process of getting a plan together to create a coffee business designed from the ground up to employ as many mentally and developmentally disabled people as possible. My question is, if there were no rules you had to follow, how would you accommodate workers who have differing abilities? i.e. Does your coffee shop really have to accept cash? Do super-automatic espresso machines really create an inferior product? As a consumer would an ethically sourced, sustainably grown product that you know directly benefits your neighbors with disabilities be a factor when making a decision which coffee to buy in the store or which shop to meet your friends for coffee? Honestly appreciated and thanks in advance! Good to be here, lots of valuable information.

dinstarr

Sep 17, 2017
Australia
Visit site
Gidday,

My name is Deano Handsaker and i'm from Port Macquarie New South Wales Australia. I a retired Army sergeant Veteran of 15 years service. I am very much the absolute noob when its comes to all this so the reason i joined you guys.

I own a Seaco Incanto Sirus S which as per my other post i've researched and pretty well serviced and fixed myself, fairly handy with the tools. Im wanting to find the best known coffees out their in the world and maybe i can trial some over here and give you guys a heads up. I live with my wife jan and our cat and dog (M the cat and Peppi the dog).

Hope to chat to you guys soon and coffee on.

mercsnmarques

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm Steve and I love coffee. Been getting a superb product from a cousin who grows, roasts and grinds it on the slopes of Mt. Kenya. I'd love to find new/different ways to enjoy it; from machine made to boiled on the stove.
Thanks for having me, looking forward to making new friends and learning.

Sent from my Infinix-X600 using Tapatalk

iseegreen

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Joshua Idaho Coffee Jedi Intro

:coffee1:Hello coffee friends, this is Joshua from Idaho. I am a coffee jedi - in tune with the global forces of our industry. I source green around the world of my own initiative, in places where it supposedly does not even grow.. Nepal, India, China, etc. I have judged internationally as a Q Grader, I independently import coffees and distribute specialty green to roasters in ID, WA, OR, CA. I am personally connected in almost every coffee producing origin because I have either been there or have made connections. Once I moved to Hawaii just to learn about production there, another time I moved to Thailand just to meet with coffee farmers and roasters, etc. etc. I partner with producers in order to get them access to western markets, and I work with western buyers in order to procure them a healthy supply of beans. I believe in using the coffee trade as an economic example of sustainability worldwide and I am ecstatic to have found this forum - information sharing is important!

mercsnmarques

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
:coffee1:Hello coffee friends, this is Joshua from Idaho. I am a coffee jedi - in tune with the global forces of our industry. I source green around the world of my own initiative, in places where it supposedly does not even grow.. Nepal, India, China, etc. I have judged internationally as a Q Grader, I independently import coffees and distribute specialty green to roasters in ID, WA, OR, CA. I am personally connected in almost every coffee producing origin because I have either been there or have made connections. Once I moved to Hawaii just to learn about production there, another time I moved to Thailand just to meet with coffee farmers and roasters, etc. etc. I partner with producers in order to get them access to western markets, and I work with western buyers in order to procure them a healthy supply of beans. I believe in using the coffee trade as an economic example of sustainability worldwide and I am ecstatic to have found this forum - information sharing is important!
Hello Joshua,
Name's Steve, I'm from Kenya. I'm looking for a way to sell coffee beans from KE to western markets. Very glad to have read your post. Will be in touch.
Thanks

Sent from my Infinix-X600 using Tapatalk

Yemen_Coffee

Sep 23, 2017
Sana'a, Yemen
Visit site
Hi All, My name is Omar, i am 37 year old from Yemen, and i am starting a new coffee shop in mall in Yemen, hopefully i can learn from an experienced coffee shop owners and experts the "know how" and the essentials of the business...

Colombia

Aug 30, 2017
Bogota Colombia
Visit site
Just now, Lee Lapid emailed be like below

Hi Alex: I found your info on the coffee forum.
Above is a photo of coffee that a friend in Nicaragua is attempting to sell in the States.
What questions should I ask him so that I can pitch it intelligently to ….. I don’t even know who …..
Thanks for your time.

here are some questions that you need to ask.
1. complete farm info if he has a farm of his own.
2. but if he is a middle man who representing farms, also he need to provide farm information.
3. complete coffee information. what type of coffee, varietals, process..etc
4. how much he is producing...
5. when is export period and which month customers need to visit him in Nicaragua to cup and buy the coffee.
6. how much coffee available for sales.

However, if your friend is trying to sell the packaged coffee (either ground or roasted coffee) from Nicaragua to USA, 99.999% it will not work at all. the best bet is to sell Green beans. Not roasted or ground beans.

also, selling coffee really needs a lot of information, education of your own, understanding of coffee process...etc. because you wouldn't be able to answer questions from your potential customers.

good luck.
Alex from Ensoluna SA

Hi

By way of an introduction (sorry I had to actually read through this thread to see whether I'd introduced myself).

Can you clarify what you mean by this (the part in bold above)? I have a coffee business, and we export Colombian speciality coffees to Europe, we roast at source and fly the next working day after roasting. No green beans sitting in warehouses for months or cooking at the bottom of a stack of shipping containers - don't know whether what ensoluna is saying is specific to a certain bean or country but it all works very well for us in Europe - and the Far East.

Anyway, hi to everyone, hope to contribute.

Colombia

Aug 30, 2017
Bogota Colombia
Visit site
Thank you very much for the report. You can indeed export ground coffee, I do it every week. What you need is a market where speciality coffees are required and also a market where there is disposable income. We roast and sell to coffee shops where they don't have roasting facilities or don't want the expense of roasting, and also to people who buy online, maybe one or two bags as presents or they have a subscription.

We also develop coffees for hotels and restaurants, obviously they don't roast and another big part of our market is office buildings. The profits are greater if you buy green (we export green too) but a speciality coffee, roasted on the farm and flown the next day is as fresh as it can be.

Thanks again for the report.

histreenut

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
Hey...I am Preston (aka HisTreeNut). I am a Husband, Dad, food service guy, foodie, love my coffee, and want to start home roasting. Love to open a coffee shop someday...planning.
Currently researching machines. I am not doing the popcorn popper, or convection oven hack, or roasting in a frying pan. I plan on buying a machine to start out.
Oh yeah...I am a rebel too! lol Skipping the starter steps.[emoji16]
Any suggestions as I research?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Latest posts