Introductions

dmey

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Hello, My name is David and want to grow coffee and produce very high quality, small scale in the mountains of Dominican Republic. I have a small 5 acre property at 1200 masl located near Manabao, La Vega province in the north and a larger 42 acre property in Rancho Arriba, San Jose de Ocoa, that ranges from about 900 to 1000masl. I am just learning about coffee and all the info i can get. I have loads of questions and concerns , especially with respect to varieties and how to best start this proyect.. I have had a lot of trouble trying to get accurate infromation from local government coffee institute CODOCAFE . I am interested in growing it organically and in shade and the idea is to grow and eventually produce my own coffee.

farmguy

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Hello to everyone.

My name is farmguy and I am a caffeine addict. I did not know I was one until my daughter was born and then I found something to curb my cravings.
.....on a lighter note, many years of drinking coffee, I started home roasting 5/6 years ago and I found a new level of taste and flavor.

farmguy

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
ok..I'm Dale. I use a Fresh Roast 500 after starting with a popcorn popper. I order beans from a few different places. Gen X was my go to site for a while but I think they are gone, at least their site is no longer operating. My beans, I have been on a Costa Rico kick for a while, the prices have been good and the wife and I both like the flavors. Before that, Dominican Republic, same reason.

batchninecoffee

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone! My name is Jeff, I am one of the owners of Batch Nine Coffee Co. out of Florence, SC. Ran a coffee shop for 5+ years, learned to "home roast" a couple of years ago and this spring, launched our roasting company...never thought I'd wind up this far down the rabbit hole! I love a good natural and a good washed coffee, depending on the day. I brew at home with a Kalita Wave, v60, Chemex, and Aeropress pretty frequently.

Anyhow, check out our web store drinkbatchnine.com. Cheers!

CucamongaDan

Jan 22, 2018
Cucamonga
Visit site
Well hey. Hi everybody. I'm new here. I see there is this intro thread, and it's a sticky, and I can also make an individual hello thread. So I'll try one of each, and try not to be too repetitive.

Roasting coffee is my latest hobby. I've been roasting about three years. I've been a life long coffee lover but was always content to make a fresh pot of store brand drip grind in the Mr. Coffee when I needed some. Nothing wrong with that. But about five years ago I found myself in possession of a bunch of coffee gift cards, and thought I'd blow them on some "good" coffee, so i went and tried a few bags of different whole bean coffees. Wasn't real thrilled with the results of any of those as rendered by good old Mr. Coffee, but the hunt was on!

I got to thinking that my "good" coffee was going to waste in such a brewer, and I ought to have a better way to get all the goodness out of the coffee beans. After some research I decided to try an Aeropress, and I've been using it daily ever since. I've tried some french press, pour-over cone, and electric moka-pot brewing, but always go back to the Aeropress.

That settled, I started trying every different coffee. Nothing seemed very good at Starbucks to me except their lighter roast Veranda blend. Trader Joes had a few I thought were okay, but what I finally settled on was the bulk whole bean coffees a local Sprouts grocery store. I think the big difference was they were fresher that anything else I was getting. I liked the Organic Peruvian, which was a light roast, the best, but liked most of the light-medium roast coffees they had, single origins as well as blends.

I thought I was done because I had researched home roasters just enough to see that they were an investment not likely to happen anytime soon with our household budget, but then one day I noticed the part where it says to roast it in a popcorn popper. Had to try that! I picked up an extra Popcorn Pumper on one of my frequent thrift store expeditions, and ordered a pound of Brazilian Volcano coffee from Amazon. I was hooked instantly. I placed my first Sweet Maria's order soon after that. I kept looking for suitable popcorn poppers and assembled a small fleet of them. Some worked better than others, of course. And meanwhile, I was starting to read about how to modify them so they can really roast it just how you want . . .

Hello guys! Since 1950, we produce specialty coffee in the Matas de Minas Region in the East of Minas Gerais State, Brazil.

We are here to discuss about specialty coffee production, make some new friends and help people that wanna know about direct trade coffee from Brazil.

All of you are invited to know our coffee farm.
We are UTZ, Rainforest and 4C Certified. See you.

Farm_Dutra_05.jpg

CucamongaDan

Jan 22, 2018
Cucamonga
Visit site
Hi there fazendasdutra! Muito prazere!

Part of my fascination with coffee in the last several years has been a part of an infatuation with the big, beautiful, amazing country of Brazil! Its people, natural wonders, resources, history, politics, culture.... Brazilian music has taken over my collection! I have read some great novels and enjoyed many amazing Brazilian films! Learning a little Portuguese was a challenge for me, but with some crucial help I nonetheless was able to make English subtitles for a favorite film... Quando O Carnaval Chegar (1972). Such a wonderful musical, I watched it many times not knowing what they were talking about, and I like it even more after a friend was able to furnish me a script and I could follow the story.

And of course part of what is great about Brazil is the coffee! I'm looking forward to getting to know you and learning about your farm and I hope I can try its product!

Hi CucamongaDan! Muito prazer! :coffee:

Brazil is a nice country and I agree. Just seeing to believe =). Portuguese is not easy to learn but you can seeing some videos tips on youtube. The movie "Quando o Carnaval Chegar" is a classic musical about one business man that wanna make a huge celebration about the carnival festival. I'm happy that you're enjoying brazilian culture.

You're invited to know our farm when you come to Brazil, I can show you all the process to produce a good coffee. We have a cool video on youtube showing our coffee trees. I can't send the link here but if you type "Fazendas Dutra - Institucional" on youtube is the first video.[h=1][/h]
If you have some doubt let me know. Thanks.

And nice to meet you. :coffee: I'm Pedro Here.

Ron199

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi all. Long time lurker and longer time coffee drinker. Thought I would jump in and join the conversations, gain knowledge and share any coffee knowledge that I may have acquired over the years. Good to be aboard and thanks....

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
good having you here! Sunday is a hump day for coffee forum, so I would love to hear your very first & educational "coffee knowledge that you have acquired over the years".

welcome Ron! 199? is there any meaning to it?

Sunday is usually more like a day of rest on the Coffee Forum. But, it looks like you are managing to keep things active today.

I do not think that Rio carnival can represent Brazil's culture. as I know, Brazil is even more mixing pot of different races, so I am certain that you have incredible varieties of different cultures.

by the way, any of us would love to visit brazil to visit your farm or experience different cultures, however, it take over a month to get a visa (as USA citizen) and it costs around $500.00 to get it, not to mention very expensive fair fair. I am just hoping that someone up there should get rid of the visa to get into your country.

thanks and welcome to forum.

Hi,

You're right about brazilian culture. It's not just about carnival but we have a lot of difference in our culture. As an example in a south of Brazil there are many europeans like Germans and Italians. Carnival is only a part of our culture and many people know because the news and media.

I didn't know about the visa price. For me is $200 to get a USA visa. But all of you are invited to come to our farm when have the opportunity to know my country. Usually we receive a lot of foreign people to see the coffee harvesting and all the process.

See you.

ChenoaCoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
Hello, my name is Chuck from Mississippi. I am looking for a Coffee Roaster/Production Manager that has a great knowledge of coffee, processes, roasting, packaging and more to work with us at our coffee service. I don't know if this is a good place to find someone, but I do want to find the best candidates. If anyone is interested, please let me know and we can certainly talk. Experience in the coffee industry is required. - Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you on this forum.