Introductions

okin

Nov 29, 2003
new zealand
Visit site
Hello i'm new here, my name is Niko i live in new zealand, i'm 17 and in a month or so
i'm going to do a barista training course WooHoo!!!!. i've bean drinking coffee since i was about 6 or 7 , i would like to learn about differant coffee drinks and any helpfull tips to making the best coffee ever!!!! see ya :-D :-D

OzScotland

Nov 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi all

Hi i'm Austin, username OzScotland, so as you could guess I'm Scottish. Found this site while trying to locate a retailer of Vietnamese Mocha, its my favourite. I love coffee (obvious really) and can't start the day without a hand ground esspresso.. Always keen to learn more about my favourite drink. cheers Oz :grin:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
hello ozscotland...I am a wee bit lost...Vietnamese Mocha? I have used Vietnamese robustas while playing around with espresso blends....I have used Mocha....but are you talking about chocolate or the actual mocha(Yemen Mocha "Matari"?) Oh and what part of Scotland? I used to spend my summers in Dunoon...and my wife is from Clyde Bank....oh well....later

OzScotland

Nov 30, 2003
Visit site
Vietnamese Mocha

Hi topher,
thanks for the reply.. well the coffee retailers in Vietnam seemed to have three distinct, brands of coffee. They all sell Robusta, Arabica and Mocha. The Mocha is great, smooth no hint of bitterness and a smell like chocolate. I'm not enough of an expert to really know all the details, I just know good and bad coffee, hoping to learn more from this site. My Vietnamese language skills aren't good either so I couldn't really ask.

As for Scotland I was born in East Kilbride, but mostly lived in Inverness and Glasgow... I had my own business a few years ago in Drumchapel, very close to clyde bank in fact... I also spent some summers in Dunoon as my older aunties and uncles live there!!
I'm currently in Loughborough in England studying again and have just discovered online coffee shopping, since i can't find a decent shop around here..
Were are you? do you roast you own coffee? I've always wanted to try it, but don't knbow enough yet.
well cheers for posting
cheerio for now Oz :grin:

Grovie

Dec 15, 2003
York, PA
Visit site
First cap

:grin:

I'm new to the coffee forum but I think this is an enjoyable format. The people at least seem cool but of course everyone is most likely all jacked up on caffeine. :wink:

I'm from lovely and historic South Central, Pennsylvania more specifically a small city called York. I love history and relaxing in a warm comfortable cofee lounge with either my laptop, a good book or good conversation. My area is sadly lacking in the coffee shop arena.

I have started writing a business plan for an eclectic, comfortable coffee lounge with an internet kiosk aspect. I have what I think are some neat ideas and some very interested friends. I also have start-up capital.

I'm a little nervous :shock: because I don't have the expertise but I hope to hire that if I decide this is feasible. Any and all ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Well, take care and look forward to chatting.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hi All

I'm Sean...of Seattle Gourmet Coffee. We are a family owned coffee roasting company in the Seattle area. My brother in law and sister in law and I have been around for 10 years now. We first started off with one drive thru espresso stand without the help of others back then. So we came through the ranks the hard way. Made a lot of mistakes, but then the Lord showed us the way after countless times of doing things wrong. Over the last 9 years we have owned and operated 5 drive thru locations, but are now down to two. Too many headaches with too many locations unless you franchise. But the three we sold are still customers of ours. We continue to run our businesses like family. We love our employees and treat them like like our own daughters. We usually have outings during most weekends when wheather permits. After all we have to take advantage of good wheather when we get it We started with partners in Miami in the beginning which trained us and taught us the coffee industry and up until Jan 2003 we purchased our own Diedrich Coffee Roaster and BOY!!! I thought I didn't have a life before I really don't have one now! Over the last several years we found a great nitch, that was to help others get into this great industry. We specialize in consulting and training the first timer in opening their own locations. Of course we want the coffee business, nothings for free But we've been successful in providing others with the assistance that we didn't have when we first started. In fact our newest customer just opened a drive thru in Binghampton, NY!!! She's only been open about 7 weeks and she's loving it. Well now, I'm starting to ramble, better let someone else chime in. But before I go I must give a shameless plug...Visit our website at www.seattlegourmetcoffee.com :lol:

acoustic blues

Jan 15, 2004
penna
Visit site
Hello, found you guys through a google search and just joined. Been a coffee addict all my life and have drank stuff that would take paint off cars to coffee so good I thought I died and went to heaven. Anyway just got a burr grinder and am waiting for my first bean order to arrive. Looking forward to making some great brew. This looks like a cool place to sit and have a cup or two (black, of course)

ab

WGEA

Jan 19, 2004
Lagrange, Ga
Visit site
I haven't fully looked over the site yet, How long has it been here?

Came here looking for a way to get the full flavor out of my coffee. I started buying my own beans, doing my own grinding about three or four years ago. Geez, Why would anyone want to drink the stuff out of a can? :lol:

MikeTheBike

Jan 30, 2004
Blighty
Visit site
Hi, I stumbled on this site as a wind-up when looking for a Java forum for one of my IT colleagues.
I'm and espresso junkie and not afraid to admit it!
Got into coffee thru cycling culture in Italy and also thru working in London during the halcyon days when Coffee Republic were starting up.

I now have a few machines....I've got thru 2 seal kits and one group head liner on my Pavoni in three years.....the guys that supply the spares are surprised, but I do get a fair bit of use out of it :shock:

I'm keeping an eye out for a commercial machine at the moment (a lever one would be fantastic)....not sure how I will smuggle it into the house past the wife though!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Jason:

Indiana! Alright! Have to ever been to Java Jar (used to be Jumpin Java) in Indianpolis? Great place. Nice family feel, and in the Spring time, there's no place quite like it. Great spot for people watching while sipping on your favorite coffee beverage. Check them out if you get the chance and tell them that Sean said hi! :lol:

hello

i'm new . wanted to say hello to everybody. Im a local community market weekend vendor and just recently started selling Select Gourmet Coffee in my booth. The coffee sales are starting off great. I joined to learn the most i can about the coffee industry, pricing, and for some startup website advice. thanks in advance for all your help!
thank you,
frank

My name is Alun Evans, I am a Kiwi (New Zealander) living in West Java in a mountain town called Bukit Sentul, an hour outside of Jakarta. I have lived here for 5 years and seen some pretty interesting moments in modernIndonesian history unfold before my eyes. But to coffee...... my wife and I own a small roasting business that services the Jakarta/Bogor/Tangerang area. We roast for the institutional market as well as having a small retail base. We export green beans to NZ and Australia as well- these are mainly hard to get Arabicas from the small-hold growers we deal with. The coffee culture here is on two levels- the average Indonesian level (drinks a lot of coffee, but this coffee is finely ground robusta that is mixed with hot water and allowed to sink to bottom of the glass before being drunk- sells for $0.15 a cup) and the new elite level (Jakarta based mainly young Indonesians many brought up on the MTV culture and studied abroad). Life here is always interesting, always warm and never ever dull!

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
Hi all

I'm James I live in Bristol in the UK. I've been drinking the black stuff probably as far back as I can remember. and have been told i drink too much for probably the same amount of time. What I consider to be a healty obsession started when i was about 16 and discovered a coffee shop that sold whole beans and then shortly after being given a french press :D Ever since then I've gone as far as home roasting using a popcorn maker to start with, Which the wife objected to majorly, somethignto do with the mess, and now use an imex cr100.