Jura C5 frothing not frothing

Heidenh

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I just recently bought the Jura C5 with a dual frothing wand. I've tried maybe about 10 times now with 1% and 2% milk, with two different frothing pitchers, cold milk, cold pitcher etc.. The wand seems to not be either strong enough or I'm doing it wrong (Most likely the latter). I understand the basics and theory behind steaming milk. The milk doesn't seem to spin, no matter what angle, or how high, or deep the tip is. It warms it significantly within 20 seconds or less. I'm getting no micro bubbles, just a layer of too big to be foam bubbles on the top. Regardless if the tip is in deep. I've looked on youtube and can't find a display of my specific model for a "how to". So basically, the wand doesn't foam or steam the milk either way that I want it to.
Any suggestions or tips? What am I doing wrong? Thicker cream? More Cream? Referral to a different post?

Thank you for your help.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
What comes out of the steam wand? Steam, as opposed to water? If it's steam, then it's your technique.

Try putting the tip just about 1/8" to 1/4" under the surface at about 4 o'clock if you're looking down at the milk, turn on the steam, but don't move the pitcher. The milk should expand, which in effect lowers the tip relative to the milk's surface. You'll have to play with how far to submerge the tip at the beginning, but that's been the easiest way for me to make great microfoam; the milk expands and the initial expansion is the stretching, then as the tip finds itself further beneath the surface it'll automatically start the texturing phase. Keep one hand on the bottom of the pitcher, and when it gets too hot to hold, you're done. Don't pull the tip out of the milk until you turn off the steam.

Heidenh

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
What comes out of the steam wand? Steam, as opposed to water? If it's steam, then it's your technique.

Try putting the tip just about 1/8" to 1/4" under the surface at about 4 o'clock if you're looking down at the milk, turn on the steam, but don't move the pitcher. The milk should expand, which in effect lowers the tip relative to the milk's surface. You'll have to play with how far to submerge the tip at the beginning, but that's been the easiest way for me to make great microfoam; the milk expands and the initial expansion is the stretching, then as the tip finds itself further beneath the surface it'll automatically start the texturing phase. Keep one hand on the bottom of the pitcher, and when it gets too hot to hold, you're done. Don't pull the tip out of the milk until you turn off the steam.

Before I start steaming I empty the wand of the water and then place the wand into the pitcher.
The wand only points back and forth, so what part of the pitcher would be 4 oclock? I hold the handle at 3 o'clock or with the handle closest to me at 6 o'clock?
Sorry, just trying to grasp this concept. I want to do it right. :)
Thanks for your advice!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Yeah, it's hard to describe with words... if you're looking straight down at the milk, and 12 is at the top and 6 is toward you with 3 being to the right, then you'll know where 4 o'clock is. Hopefully. You're tucking the tip in there, at the side of pitcher, because that will create a clockwise swirl.