Looking for test users in SF area

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
demetri said:
So is that $1.00 to $2.00 per lbs of coffee beans? Any idea of what the power consumption would be for a typical operation?

Say I roast 1,000 lbs of coffee beans a week, how much am I paying in roasting fees and how much power is the machine going to use typically to roast 1,000 lbs of coffee?

Around $1.38. We have a scale based on volume, but assume that's about the number. As far as power consumption it will be a whole heck of a lot less than your big roaster. We recycle the energy and actually use the roasting of the beans for energy just like any other hydrocarbon burn. We use catalysis to provide heat and energy which heats the incoming fresh air without the aid of electricity or device. THe beans act as fuel. THe drum heater actually shuts down to about what a hair dryer uses or less when you start roasting a lot in succession. We can actually run a 7200 watt heater at less than 10% for most of a roast and maintain in excess of 560 degrees if desired. Depends on the roasting profile assigned. In many cases we actually turn it off and use the recapture for almost all of the heating. I will say that the heat exchanger on this thing is HUGE. But who cares? The cat was custom designed by Englehardt, the leaders in the industry, especially for coffee. I can say that in five years we've never heard a single complaint about a rise in power usage and that being from people who never had a roaster before. Guess the bill didn't change much! :D

You're local Demetri aren't you? Why don't you come down and see it? Seeing is believing. :D

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
demetri said:
Fresh Roaster said:
You're local Demetri aren't you? Why don't you come down and see it? Seeing is believing. :D

Nope, I'm in Canada Eh.

Sorry, got you mixed up with the gentleman from Marin County. The invitation is certainly still open though! :grin: PM me your address and I'll send you out some interesting information.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Re: Texas Roast

luvgoodcoffee said:
I don't work for Texas Roast but I am a customer. I've been drinking coffee at artsy-fartsy coffee houses for 15 years and I have not come across as good a coffee as Texas Roast. I called the company to ask how they do it...he told me they use a special machine that allows him to roast without burning and it is very consistent. The consistency is why I keep buying his coffee online. I can't get it anywhere else. But, if I come across one of these machines from Fresh Roast, then I'd consider it.

The reference to wine was simply an analogy that can and will change the coffee industry. If you look at all of the large winery's, they all started small and took over a percentage of the market. There are some very, very good mid-sized wine makers out there creating a good product and selling it at reasonable prices. So, (drawing the parallel) why not do it with coffee?

I'd love to pay $8 or $9 a pound for excellent coffee instead of $13 or $14 a pound...wouldn't you?

If you like their on-line coffee, try out their first and new cafe in Dallas. Even fresher than on-line.

And congratulations are in order for Texas Roast's new venture. Yesterday was their first $1000+ day. Not bad for a retail operation that opened September 29th of this year. There's a lot to be said for fresh roasted coffee "in-store" not to mention getting it for half the price and a whole lot fresher than a wholesale roaster can give it to you. Again congratulations, guys. You're great people and we've enjoyed this venture. You make us look good! You guys keep roasting and we'll keep developing the technology! Wait till you see what we've got next. Very exciting stuff. Totally wireless, logged real time data. You'll be able to do your coffee from home before you even get to work!

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
So, how much would this machine actually cost me? Considering I start to make a profit when everything is paid for, it seems that I will always have this bill, and never really own the machine? Did I miss something or am I reading that correctly? If I am wrong with my assumptions, someone please let me know.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
THe machine costs you nothing. We provide all equipment and maintenance. You just pay for what you roast. You can certainly buy a traditional roaster but be prepared to fix it and get out your wooden spoon and prepare to stand next to it because all the time as it will become a full time job.

What we provide is essentially a VERY cheap employee. Most of our customers have a store to run and sitting next to a roaster all day isn't part of their plans. Furthermore, after you pay for that labor and maintenance of your equipment I think you'll find that we're a whole heck of a lot more pragmatic in the long run. Plus, you get a new machine every four years or so! We have plenty of references who will confirm this.