Newbie Burr Ginder General Advice

EHZ

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

As a coffee newbie, I'm interested in what some of you more experienced folk would advise regarding burr grinders. Ideally, I would like to find something decent for $100 or less. Is this possible? For the most part, I don't plan on making an ultra high volume of coffee/expresso's. Caribou carries a Capresso model I believe for $99. I was not sure if this is relatively overpriced, considering some of their other coffee accessories seem to be. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

EHZ

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Take A Look At...

The Capresso Infinity is a fantastic grinder regardless of price. I was in the same boat recently and bought the brushed chrome model for $140 and tax. I went over dozens of reviews for grinders in that price range and the Infinity won hands down. The plastic one for $90 or so is the same exact thing I have, but lighter. I like the metal for stability and it really does help eliminate any static. The Infinity is compact, well built, easy to adjust and clean, grinds fantastic and does so consistently. I just can't say enough about it. I'm truly happy that I bought one. There are others in this price range, but I don't think any can compare to the Infinity unless you can spend $200 or more. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Phenomenal is right! I knew it'd be a good grinder, but it has been outstanding for me for about a month and a half now. I thought about the ABS version, but had read that the metal body (though much more expensive) would help eliminate any static and does double the overall weight. With that being said, they're both identical where it counts. Compare it to the ever so popular Maestro and Maestro Plus and the Infinity really shines. The burrs are of the highest quality and the burr carrier assembly is over-engineered to grind precisely and last a long time. They also added a few touches such as the large O-ring on the burr carrier that helps keep the grinds where they need to be and probably helps with stability as well. Another thing is the soft rubber funnel and small auger-like tip that both help the beans feed as fast as possible. I tell you, for the money this grinder just can't be beat. I know I'm totally satisfied. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the Infinity to replace my Cuisinart grinder but should I go fort he Baratz Virtuoso instead? They have this model in a refurb on the site for $149.

If the Capresso is good enough....I'll do it......but I see refurbed grinders which worry me because I don't know what they refurb...just the burrs? motor?

Also, is this easy to clean???? I use Grindz riight now. I saw one reviewer say the only way he was able to have it grind correctly was to take the burrs out and sharpen them or something......or remove some rough edges from the factory.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Virtuoso is definitely a nice grinder. Probably one of the nicest you'll find in that price range. Having a refurbished item doesn't mean it's defective in any way. Could be someone didn't like the design, bean hopper, grind quality... Who knows? When a factory gets one back I'd guess they make sure it's 100% mechanically sound and maybe add a new bean hopper or grounds hopper to make it OK to resale. I'm sure they'll function like new. As for the Infinity, I've had mine for 4 months now and really, really like it. I use it 3-4 times a day. It's super-easy to adjust the grind setting, has excellent grinding quality, is quiet and definitely the easiest to clean of any grinder I've seen yet. Simply remove the bean hopper (twist counter-clockwise), lift the top burr carrier out and that's it. I clean both burrs with a toothbrush and vacuum out any old grinds (which isn't a problem because I use it so much). Reassemble and it's ready to go again. Also, it's easy to go back to the same grind setting as used before. Some grinders require some tinkering to get back to the same setting after being taken apart. In most people's eyes the only downfall of this grinder is the lack of settings (only 16), but I could care less. While grinding I simply hold the hopper between the main settings to fine tune the grind (which really makes it stepless), which is necessary when grinding for espresso. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Infinity

I found a local shop near me that carries the Infinity so I may stop in a grab one next week. Currently I have a Cuisinart burr grinder - about $50 and okay consistency. The only espresso like coffee I make is a Brikka and Moka pot.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I say that for the money you simply can't go wrong with the Infinity. I also agree with others that regardless of the type of coffee you drink (moka, press, espresso, etc.) you will notice a difference in taste when using a good grinder. I'm a big believer in conical grinding systems. I know most high end grinders ($400 and up) use flat burrs, but I think the best thing they offer is precise increments in adjustability. On the other hand, I think the cheaper grinders like the Maestro and Infinity are excellent (and all that's needed) for home use because of the low grinding speeds and the conical burrs really do a great job of shaving the bean, rather than crushing or cutting it. I notice a huge difference in taste from my Infinity when compared to the Cuisinart Supreme Grind I had before. I also think the Maestro and Infinity can be adjusted to go from drip to press and to espresso quicker and easier than most others. Just my thoughts. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
You're a big help, Shadow - thanks! I have the local Kitchen Kapers shop checking on their price for the Infinity which for them is special order since they only carry the plastic version. This store is close to me so I can support the local business and save on shipping.

I noticed today with my Cuisinart burr grinder......it drops a teaspoon size mound of powder in with the correct grinds.......odd?? This usually comes either right at the beginning of the grind or the end - hard to determine!