OK... Own up... Who sells flavored beans?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
David: Welcome and thanks for your post!

Carmine: Thanks for your thoughts. Its something I've been back and forth on. I won't doing my own roasting for a while. First, we will get the cafe open and then get a roaster, and then (if I'm still standing) will start roasting. I'm trying to do one thing (sort of) at a time.

And someone mentioned something about, if we only sold what we liked, we wouldn't sell much... That's true. For me that would consist of butter pecan ice cream and pumpkin pie.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I would say "Don't sell anything you wouldn't HONESTLY recommend"

I could never recommend banana flavored anything nor could I recommend drip coffee, so I would never carry either.
If you want to eat a banana and drink your coffee... have at it, but don't dip your banana in the coffee... that would get you poked with a sharp stick. :)

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
There was a comment that if there is a market for it you should sell it. While I believe you have to maximize profits and sales, you are there to make money. I also believe you cannot be all things to all people, you have to decide what market you are targeting and stick with your vision. We have gone after the upper end of the market and in my opinion flavored beans do not fit. Also the fact that if you sell them you need two bulk grinders, one for flavored and one for regular and the possibilities of cross contamination, it is not an area I want to go. Customers are to used to seeing them in their supermarket next to the Folgers and other low quality coffee.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
John P said:
I would say "Don't sell anything you wouldn't HONESTLY recommend"
I could never recommend banana flavored anything nor could I recommend drip coffee, so I would never carry either.
If you want to eat a banana and drink your coffee... have at it, but don't dip your banana in the coffee... that would get you poked with a sharp stick. :)

I think that is a great position.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Flavored Beans?

Hey, I like cinnamon, fruits, nuts, berries and seeds, just not in my coffee.... or tea for that matter. Just a little cream :D. Tea, Black (English or Irish Breakfast).

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Boy is my face gonna be RED if I stopped a four month debate on flavored coffees. :oops:

I'm just your average joe coffee drinker, who wanted to chime in on a lighter note.

I hope I didn't deter anyone from continuing this important discussion.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
davidsbiscotti said:
Mmmmm, you're right. Is that how they do it in Joisy?
Sounds delish!
LOL No... just saw it on a cooking channel.

davidsbiscotti said:
Boy is my face gonna be RED if I stopped a four month debate on flavored coffees. :oops:

I'm just your average joe coffee drinker, who wanted to chime in on a lighter note.

I hope I didn't deter anyone from continuing this important discussion.
Jeez, no. Fuggehdaboudit! I think some people are still not "talking" to each other over this. My face is red for starting the debate! :D

OK... Own up... Who sells flavored beans?

I''m new here and don''t want to offend anybody. This subject has been pretty well flogged. I tend to agree more with those who are looking for their market, their niche and to fill it. If the flavor fits, sell it.

I agree with most that coffee should be enjoyed unadulterated. No cream, no sugar and by all means no flavors. But I am a businessman. I believe in succeeding with my business. To this end I am not a coffee purist but rather a business success purist.

That means that I may not believe in flavored coffee, but if my local market prefers it and I want my slice of the pie then I better have what my customers want. Or, perhaps another laundromat is in my future.

Define your market. Be true to your beliefs and standards, but be realistic about what will work and what will make money and grow your business. Swim like a shark.

Mako