ryecatcher

Jun 1, 2009
China
Visit site
Re:

nice sustainability!
:)
Josh said:
I read from a few books on coffee that "organic" coffee wont usually be better or worse in taste than the normal non organic beans.

The reason given was that this would mostly affect the "cherry" and the seed itself would have pretty much no trace of any chemicals used in growing. I can't say how true this is because I haven’t actually seen any real studies on the topic.

That being said, I think the main reason why a person, when given the option, should go "organic" is because the issue of sustainability. You know... for the kids.

There is also something to be said about the farming practices when going organic. I think it's very possible to get a better bean from an organic operation because of the extra time and care that has to go into growing and harvesting.

The coffee shop my partner and I are opening is all organic themed. Also trying to go as eco friendly as possible when it comes to all of our other items.

JJohnson0731

Aug 10, 2011
New Jersey
Visit site
I definitely prefer organic coffee. I can tell a difference in the quality of the taste. Although I guess I don't really have a fair judgment because the only organic coffee that I have ever drunk and continue to drink is infrared roasted and is called BSkinny Thermogenic Fat Burning Coffee. The infrared roasting not only reduces acidity, but also enhances the flavor of each bean. So I guess I can't really say if the improved flavor was due to it being organic or infrared roasted, but I can imagine that organic is probably better than not organic. Well if anybody wants to talk more about my coffee of choice please feel free to do so, I am always happy to help others.

JJohnson0731

Aug 10, 2011
New Jersey
Visit site
I think a lot of coffee needs to be tested and approved to be considered organic. I am a member of Boresha International, and I know that all of the claims and patents that the company has are and have to be FDA approved in order for us to make them. This includes the claim that our coffee is 100% organic fair trade. The state-of-the-art research that is behind the products are also performed in a government lab.

youronlinecoffee

Feb 27, 2012
San Francisco
Visit site
Organic Coffee is better for the planet as is Fair Trade Coffee. They are both best for the coffee growing communities, the local environment, and the people too. Organic Coffee is good for us drinkers as well. Less harmful chemicals ingested is a good thing. Can you taste the difference? Probably not. But knowing is important too drinking the perfect cup of coffee.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read in a couple of coffee books the real benefits of organic coffee is to the farmers not being exposed to chemicals and such. When chemicals are used, they are sprayed on the cherries and the whole process that they go through would burn off all the chemicals if they make it to the beans at all, all the way through the roasting process.

Last edited:

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
The coffee growing/exporting industry is huge and totally outside the US. I hope when paying a premium for organic, fair trade, rain forest, bird friendly......that we're actually getting what we think we're getting. I really don't think it can be policed throughout the plantation to consumer cycle can it? This is my pessimistic opinion but certainly worthy of your thoughts and opinions. Note: I do get bird friendly/organic when purchasing online as there are no roasters in my area.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Why am I writing this post? Essentialwonders said everything I'd say, and said it better to boot.

Now we can move on to all the designer labels on the coffee bags. One I had in my hand yesterday was Fair Trade, UTZ, and Rainforest Alliance certified. Is the coffee better because of that? No? Did the farmer get more money? Possibly not. Did the big shots at the multi-national coffee company and the third-party certifying body get more money? Probably.

So to me it isn't so much about organic -- because as has been pointed out (1) small farmers can't afford the certification process and (2) the coffee bean itself probably isn't too much affected by the pesticided coffee, it is about taste. And certainly it isn't about Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance, UTZ, et al. They did good work in their day (some of them, don't get me going about UTZ) but I think it is more and more up to us individually to promote direct trade, whether that is us individually buying the coffee direct or working with a wholesaler who is dedicated to long term, sustainable, direct relationships. And if that means organic then so much the better. If it doesn't I'm still pursuing taste.

businessdegree

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
without a doubt, regular , oragnic is good too but its tastes sometimes isn't the best for you really, so regular you could play around in it, add flavors and do as much interesting things as you want its great really