Photographer that loves coffee

bjaguado

Aug 1, 2019
Gurnee, IL
Visit site
Hello all,

I wanted to do a quick intro. I'm from Gurnee, IL, about 20mins south of the WI/IL border (near Six Flags Great America). I am currently a full time photographer with a studio in Gurnee. I'm looking to double my studio as a cafe as well. I'd love any tips or pointers of which threads to start with.

With the research I've done, setting up a mobile coffee cart will reduce my startup costs dramatically because then I won't have to renovate the studio. I've been looking at the ready made carts but I'm thinking of just building my own to my specifications.

Anyways, thanks for having me.

Cheers,
BJ

bjaguado

Aug 1, 2019
Gurnee, IL
Visit site
Unless you want to give up photography, you have to keep the cafe in the studio since they promote each other.

Yes, that’s correct. I’ll be keeping both open. Thought is to have the cafe open for the morning hours then photography studio afterwards. I’ll just incorporate the photography theme into the cafe.

Faithjohn89

Sep 6, 2019
Visit site
Name all your coffee with photography terms, such as Light Exposure/Dark Exposure, etc.

And take/display/sell coffee related photos in your cafe, teach some simple photo techniques while they are drinking coffee to keep them there longer and drink more...

The opportunities are limitless.

Thanks a lot for this.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
BJ - one thing to consider is how many people you anticipate coming through the doors. Once you have a good guestimate of how many that will help you dictate the type of machine and requirements. Keep in mind when you open to the public and serve food you may have to provide a minimum of 1, possibly 2 bathrooms. You will also need the standard 3 compartment sink, hand sink and sometimes mop sink (all dependent on local code).

RoyalCoffee

Sep 6, 2019
Oakland, CA
Visit site
Pour-over drip coffee is a great idea for shops that are just starting up. The cost of equipment is minimal, and you can brew to order so that you can really curb your waste stream!