Research on Opening a Coffee Shop

ElPugDiablo

cafemakers said:
Hey Aliya,

I just read some news that claimed your coffee shop "F212 Lounge" is out of business. Is that true? What happened?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I read that in another coffee forum. Someone from another Chicago coffeehouse posted it. Her web site is down too...I joined this forum when she's just about to open. I am surprised and sadden if it is true. She seemed to have done her homework really well.

Big John

Nov 29, 2006
Visit site
I just recently joined here and read this thread from the beginning. It is always sad to see a business startup fail to work out, especially when it seems to be well thought out.

I would like to open a small, say 1200-1500 sq. ft. coffeeshop SW of Chicago. If anyone can provide any thoughts as to a range of costs necessary to do so, I would appreciate the input. My goal is to get open with a simple shop that hopefully will require less capital. I'm thinking in the $50,000 - $75,000 range. Is this doable?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Big John said:
I would like to open a small, say 1200-1500 sq. ft. coffeeshop SW of Chicago. If anyone can provide any thoughts as to a range of costs necessary to do so, I would appreciate the input. My goal is to get open with a simple shop that hopefully will require less capital. I'm thinking in the $50,000 - $75,000 range. Is this doable?

Probably not. The last coffee shop (albeit a roaster-retailer) that we opened the in metro-Chicago area had a budget closer to about $350k. Starting with such little cash will allow you little in reserves for operating even if it is sufficient to cover your capital equipment expenses and build-out.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Hi All,

I just got an update from Aliya, she's alive and well! :grin: Ends up that the catering end (coffee and food) of her business model has taken the front seat, and has exploded! So she closed the retail location to focus on catering a month or so ago.

Bummed that I won't be able to go to her shop in February but I thought everyone would be happy that she is doing well.

- Matt

coffeeken

Jan 26, 2007
Texas
Visit site
We''ve noticed here in the Dallas area that the catering business opportunity is much larger than I would have thought. I''ve been trying to determine how big is this market? We started by doing some testing with Chamber of Commerce meetings which opened a can of worms (in a good way). So it doesn''t surprise me that Aliya is doing the catering thing.

josey40

Jan 27, 2007
Visit site
Topher
Would it be possible for you to throw that barista training guide my way as well? I was considering portland oregon too, however seems like it's not such a good idea. Anyone know why that is the only place that seems to do this type of training? I would think baristas in all areas would scarf this up and open their own training sessions and make a fortune!

niteraven

I am new to the forums and the coffee industry. I realized that my passion for coffee, wine and food combined with environmentally friendly concepts would allow me to pursue my dreams and open my own Organic environmentally friendly coffee shop.

I have been reading your comments, and would like to ask for some direction in pursuing this.

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Aliya from Chicago

Hello everyone!

(Thanks, Matt, for posting an update on me!!)

I hope everyone is doing well. Gosh, it is so nice that people are concerned with the business. I closed the business in November last year because we were becoming bombarded with catering orders, and didn't have enough space to do prep work. While the retail location was my pride and joy, about 60% of my revenue was coming from catering orders. So, I had to close the location :( and concentrate on where the money was.

We are still doing business under the name F212, but now it's F212 Catering, and not F212 Lounge. I really miss my customers and the whole coffee shop atmosphere. Catering is not what I had in mind, but the money has been good, and I still get to hang around copius amounts of coffee everyday!

I suppose you never know where life will take you, but if you stick with your instincts and work hard, good things will come. I promise! I'm proof of it!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
~aliya

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Do you have a website for the catering business? (could not find anything listed under F212 Catering) I've got a number of customers in town and can point them your way to supply food or pastries (as applicable) for their coffee shops.

Best,

Andrew

Latest posts