Research on Opening a Coffee Shop

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Coffee Blessings,

I have been doing research since early this year (around Jan or Feb) and I joined coffeeforums in April. I figure if I am opening a business in a large city, thourough planning can't hurt.

I am probably opening in October of this year. If you have any questions or need any advice (I have probably had the same questions as you, and I have already been through it all) please private message me and I would be more than happy to help you... that goes for anyone on here. My months and months of research may benefit many people, so don't hesitate to ask me anything... I have gotten so much help on here and other places, I feel like I have to give back :)
~aliya

Mark

Aug 5, 2004
Visit site
Shop size

Is there a general rule that one uses when determining coffee shop size?

I'm looking to bid on space that is up to 2000 sq. ft. for a "sit down" espresso shop. One consultant suggested that it's not worth going more than 1000 sq. ft. I mentioned that the clients are virtually all professionals and may want to use the shop for informal discussions prior to formal meets and presentations that are in the same build as the shop. The consultant said maybe 1200 but was still happier with the 1000 sq. ft. figure. The building has 2000 employees and 1000 visitors/day

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Have you sit by a few days to check out the actual traffic? Sounds like you're saying 3,000 people per day. 2,000 sqft is a pretty good size location. But that can be filled fast, especially with setting up conference type tables, etc. Sounds good as a meeting place, however, you need to make money. So I would suggest to rent time and small catering to these presentation type meetings. If you want to go that route. Just a thought. However, if your plan is to just be a coffee cafe, then go smaller. Less in overhead, and more potential to make a profit. Just my two cents for what it's worth :)

Mark

Aug 5, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the tips Coffee Guy.

Forgetting the stuff about meetings, for a regular sit-down gourmet coffee shop and given a certain customer density is there a general rule on shop square footage?

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
There is no rule of thumb per say. Just all depends what you have in mind and the walk up traffic count. Anything less than 1,200 sqft is generally a small cafe with about 4 sit down tables and a few bar stools around the coffee bar or cart. Maybe a stand up cooler, etc. Something a little larger you can add a bathroom. Again it's hard to say. Maybe someone else out here can help you with how they are doing things. :shock:

Mark

Aug 5, 2004
Visit site
Suggestions on good design/architect firms for coffee bars

Could I get some suggestions on good design/architect firms for coffee shops? They could be US national firms or those local to the San Jose, CA or Santa Clara County area.

Strawberry78

Aug 14, 2004
Visit site
The Barista School

I'm planning to open a coffee house. The tips i've read on this forum have been helpful. I recently bought a book from Borders called "Espresso! Starting and Running Your Own Specialty Coffee Business" I would recommend this book for someone new to the business.
Coffeeguy, how long do commerical espresso machine suppliers normally train people on the machine when they sell it?

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
It depends on who you buy from. Some maybe two days, some maybe a week. It also depends on what all they are going to train you on. Some companies only train you on how to use the equipment, while others will train you on how to run the business as well.

drrule

Aug 13, 2004
Visit site
Design

Mark,

I may be able to help you with designing/layout. Drop me a line and I will send you some of the work I have done on a couple of occasions. If you give me the dimensions of what you have, I can design something to scale as well as show virtual walk thru pictures.

Jason
785-650-1759

Mark

Aug 5, 2004
Visit site
Jason or anyone else:

Jason thanks for the great layout. I'm also interested in interior design possibilities for an "upscale" or "elegant" shop. Any suggestions or pointers to design firms that could handle espresso shops? I understand there are many in Italy but doubt these would be knowledgeable on California building codes. However, they or local California/US ones may have attractive interior designs to look at.

Mark.

Kydcrazy

Sep 10, 2004
Visit site
Opening a new shop

Hello! I'm very new to this business as an ower, but have frequented our local shops weekly! I (and my husband) are the owners of a gas/service station and plan to add a convenience store with a drive up window. Our plan is to include an espresso shop in the convenience store. Any and all help in this area would be greatly appreciated. I have no knowledge in this area except as a consumer. Both of our espresso shops are non-branded and I feel that I don't have to compete with a brand name by opening a nonbranded store. I would welcome all comments! Thanks! :)

Strawberry78

Aug 14, 2004
Visit site
There is also a book called "Cafes and Coffeeshops" that you can order online. I haven't ordered it myself but i want to. It has alot of photos of different layouts and interior design of coffeeshops.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hi Kydcrazy:

Do you have enough room to put a freestanding drive thru at your gas station? If so, that may be your better option so you can have two sided access and stack more vehicles than just one side. Also take into consideration that if you own the property you have the option of selling it some day and you have something of value in a freestanding drive thru and then continue to collect rent on it. Just a thought :D

Garbero's

Oct 11, 2004
Portland Oregon
Visit site
Hi, I went to the Barista training in Portland Oregon. I did a one day crash course. If you have the money to spend I would do it. Ausin is one of the consultanta, he is very nice. What I would suggest to you, if you can get there in time is go to Coffee Fest in Seattle this weekend. All of those people will be there and everybody is incredibly friendly. They will be able to answer any of your questions. Also, if you want to talk to me, I can answer your questions. Or at least try. I have been working on opening my shop for the past year. I will open in December in downtown portland OR. I also have a degree in hospitality and restaurant managment. if you e mail me you #'s I can call you after 7pm PST. [email protected]