Research on Opening a Coffee Shop

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
I hear you back

You would think these companies would have more of a vested interest in training their employees. I know that training takes time, and time is money. But what good is it when your employees serve horrible coffee (EO - not saying that you served horrible coffee)? A little training can go a long way... at least it would have in my case. Then I would have had some kind of a basis for self-learning.

I just want to make sure that when I open my store, I know what I am doing. My "training" - if you would even call it that - in Atlanta hasn't done anything for me!

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
EO - what you said makes sense. I will absolutely practice, practice, practice. Coffee-flavored water... that's funny. But, sadly true. No doubt, I wouldn't feel comfortable about opening my shop door until I know what I am doing. Thanks for the advice!!!
~aliya

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Aliya:

As E.O. said, if you can get some practice making them at home at least this will get you a head start. Did I miss something before; do you already have a commercial espresso machine to practice on? As I mentioned in an earlier post send me a pm regarding this post and I'll be able to speak with you mono un mono. :lol:

coffeeman

Apr 11, 2004
Visit site
Aliya said:
I am looking into going to "barista school" in Portland. It's about $2,500 for a five-day crash course. ~aliya
This is a scam!!!
stay away from BS schools like these saying they can make you a barsita in 5 days.. I mean anyone can use an espresso you dont need to be a rocket sciencist to figure that out. so I believe the best training you can get. is save yourself that money! and practice on your friends. you must have a friend or you could even ask a local cafe in town a barista there to teach you a couple of hours a day after work. give him/her 20-25bucks im sure they will jump at it..
dont go and spend 2500 on a course,, save that money for your business.put to a good machine,..,or something.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am not sure...but about 10 years ago I worked for a company named coffee contata. A company came in to shoot a video for a syrup company...this guy started adjusting my espresso grind....I asked him...what the hell are you doing?? He said he did not go by time but by looks of the coffee....I timed it....over 42 seconds....I asked him how long he had been doing coffee and he told me that he and his partner had a combined time of 5 years in the biz...I scoffed and told him to fix the grind before he left(as to my boss telling me to play nice nice) Anyway back to my story...I think that was Bellissimo...I suggest to do what coffee man suggested...but I would be a bit more generous...like kick em a Benny...you get what you pay for....

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
%$#@ Zowie, Wham, Pow! Holly Creama! Batman! :twisted:

I guess you get the message Aliya :D . These responses just reflect my earlier posts regarding this subject. It's best to work with those who are interested in not only selling and consulting you, but also continuing your education in this industry. If you can find that, I'd suggest that you follow that path. Now I wonder who can help you with that :roll:

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Hey you guys! Haven't been on here in a while. I have been at a local cafe learning how to use the machines after hours. Really helpful girl behind the counter.

Anyway, everyone I keep talking to keeps asking how I am going to compete with Starbucks. That it would be impossible to do so. I agree Starbucks is great and they have their stuff down, but does that mean that an independent shop can't do well?

I was thinking about going to Coffee Fest in Vegas... good idea?
~aliya

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Aliya:

Yeah, Coffee Fest is for new customers to see equipment, products, asscessories, etc. It's good that you are doing some basic training. This gives you some experience so when your actual training for the business begins you won't be a stranger to the training. Don't worry about Starbucks; they can actually be of some benefit to you.