Research on Opening a Coffee Shop

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Coffee School

HI Garbero's,

Glad to hear your experience at Coffee School in Portland was good. ABC's 5-day program covers not only intensive barista training with heavy focus on perfect shot extraction and milk steaming but also full menu training covering everything from blender drinks, granita, tea, panini.

The first two full days are spent in a classroom setting and focus on start-up business training from the top experts in the industry.

Also at ABC's you learn on mulitple different espresso machines, use equipment from many of the top companies in the industry, and are able to taste products form multiple coffee, chocolate, blender mix, syrup and tea companies. There are no hidden agendas as far as selling you a certain machine or certain coffee, it is purely un-biased education.

Obviously training is important and I encourage everyone to do lots of research to find the best person to help them learn. Call for references, ask for credentials, and most importantly have fun.

Good luck with you store in Portland!

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
My experience so far...

Hello All,

As you know, I have been researching and getting my own coffee bar together for about a year now. I joined the forums in April, and haven't been able to make very many recent posts... I am SO busy! Just signed my lease last Friday :)

I wanted to let you know that earlier in the year I was debating on whether to attend a "coffee training" school in Portland, and asked for advice on the forums here (you will be able to find my posts on Page 2 or 3). Even though I was told that it was a waste of time, I went ahead and went to the school anyway.

I can not tell you how AMAZING Bellissimo (company that runs the school) is!! Not only did I learn SO much on every level -- from coffee history to how to properly steam milk -- but it was a lot of fun too.

I am currently working with Bellissimo (Topher, you would have been my main man, but I got scared coming back to FL -- hurricanes!!) and they really are great. Whether you have $300 to spend or $3,000... they are probably the most experienced team out there. They are so worth it. I mean, these guys are chummy with authors of books that people read to understand coffee history!

I am about 2 months away from opening my shop -- construction is under way -- and there is no way I could have done it without the expert guidance from Bellissimo.

If anyone is in doubt, I suggest you go to www.espresso101.com and order Bean Business Basics. THE most comprehensive how-to book on establishing a coffee operation. It really helped me out... and I get at least one email a day asking for my help. Rather than answering individually, I thought I would post my experience here.

Look me up if you are in Chicago! Gotta run...
~aliya

GreenCat

Oct 25, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Hello, My first time ever on a chat board. Sorry If I screw up. I am also opening a coffee shop from scratch, and would also be interested in your barista training guide/info. I worked at a shop for a year with minimal training. With a lot of practice, I made great latte, but it was not the shop norm. I cared and looked to books, and the internet for tips and guidelines.
I also have not signed a lease yet, but the spot I want is an empty shell. Need to build out all from scratch. Does anyone have info on building on the cheap, but not looking cheap? I need something like Decorating Cents or Design on a Dime for small business!

New Shop

We've been planning a shop, too, and find that the markets are heavily saturated with franchise shops. That doesn't mean well-served. Perhaps we're in a good position since we can invest and our partner will, initially, run the shop.

I'm of a good mind to bolt the day job on the thinking that our business plan is strong enough that it deserves at lease 66% of our effort! I guess the answer to the question on quitting one's day job is of confidence in your plan and depth of your financing.

Here's a very strong consideration:

If you are the owner and manager you deserve two streams of income: A reasonable salary as manager; and, a reasonable rate of return on your investment. Don't accept the risks of ownership without the latter in place. Look at your options and return on investment. Does it make sense given other investment choices.

How romantic is that thought!

pencowgirl

May 22, 2005
Fredericksburg,TX
Visit site
Re: Leaving the Day Job?

geburton said:
PerkyGirl said:
Hello Aliya,
... how do you leave a good paying job with a certain paycheck?

I have the same dilemma but I only see two choices. Quit the "day" job and devote 100% of my attention to the new business, or hire someone else to run it and hope they care as much about its success as I do. Leaving the existing paycheck is hard, but I think it represents the greatest likelihood of long-term success. Opinions???

Thanks Much, Glenn

I think you should quit your job and follow your dream. If you belive in the dream enough you will make it happen. If you are afraid to quit the day job perhaps your dream should remain a dream

Omega

Nov 12, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I stopped by Aliya’s newly opened F212º Coffee\Dessert Lounge at 401 N. Wells St., Chicago last Saturday. It is not your average college, Indie or National chain type of coffeehouse, rather a very stylish, one of the kind design with many colors.

Everything decorations and furniture were custom made. A few examples, a Pininfarina design refrigerated case and a BIG caffeine molecule hanged from the ceiling. There is also a DJ station where DJ spins records.

F212º brews the beans from a roaster in Seattle, and its dessert menu offers many beautiful pastries from Vanille Patisserie, whose tiramisu I happened to tried some times before, is just heavenly.

Allay is targeting those younger audience, but someone at my age (thirty something) sure can enjoy some nice pastries with a bottle of wine with friends, and some cappas.

Did I mention Aliya is cute?? : )

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
[quote]I think you should quit your job and follow your dream. If you belive in the dream enough you will make it happen. If you are afraid to quit the day job perhaps your dream should remain a dream

I hope you were just kidding about this comment. It's not an easy thing to leave the comfort of a steady pay check, not to mention that not everyone has what it takes to make a business work. However, I do agree that a dream remains a dream until you act on it. My best friend is such a person. I love him to death, but about every 6 months or so for the past 10 years, he's been crying wolf, i.e., he wants to revisit the idea of opening a coffee business. Against my better judgement I've spent way to much time getting him to the point of signing the dotted line to get the process started, whereas each time he has changed his mind. He has plenty money set aside so it is not a question if he has the finances or not, just the fact that he is afraid to own something. So I guess my point is, "If you don't have it in you, then leave it alone." 8) [/quote]

CoffeeNPraise

Jun 3, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
casing your dream

I completely agree that just up and quitting the day job is not the answer. My husband and I are serious about our dream, we're working on a solid business plan and so on, this is real to us, but that doesn't mean we're going to drop the sure thing (the weekly paycheck) for what we believe to be a viable business idea. It's important to not just think, but do also. Extreme - ism in either direction though is foolish. Patience is probably the largest field we till when starting a business.

Keep plugging

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Omega, thanks for the kind words about my shop!

I have been so busy, but as soon as things slow down, I will be back up and posting...
~aliya

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
I am here and alive! I couldn't have opened up without all your advice... Topeher, I am grateful for all your counseling. Will be back on soon. Take care!
~aliya