Roasting For Cold Brew

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Does anyone on here have experience roasting for cold brew? I am developing a cold brew product, and it would be a huge help if I knew what has worked for some of you. I currently have Indonesian, Peruvian, Ethiopian, Tanzanian, and Colombian coffees to work with. I had some success with a blend of Ethiopia and Colombia, but I think it could be better.

Any thoughts on roast degrees for cold brew? I was doing lighter roasts, like a nice city roast, perhaps a tiny bit darker. I feel like darker roasts, cold brewed, tasted acrid and char-ish.

Thanks

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Thanks Musicphan. Is there a reason why you like the med/high acidity? I feel like the acidity doesn't come through so much in a cold brew.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Cold brew takes away 3/4 of the acidity. If you use a low acidic coffee you lose all acidity. I use higher acidity so you don't end up with a mouth full of mud...all body and nothing to back it up. Let us know how you get on.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Topher nailed it on the acidity.. hopefully you get some acidity if you use a high acidity coffee. No diff on roasting... I do have to say some of the best cold drip I made was from a Mexican coffee that was probably a Full City or more... nice chocolaty notes came through. I use a drip tower so you get a little bit more taste of the coffee varietal.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Excellent, thanks for the feedback Topher, Musicphan.

The first batch I made I got a mix of positive and negative feedback on. The negative was that it was too bitter. I dispensed it still, and on nitro using a beer gas mix, which only intensified the bitterness.

I used a blend of a washed Colombian and a natural Ethiopian. The Ethiopian is never bitter with hot brewing, but the bitterness I think came out more in the cold brew. Steep time is 12 hours and both coffees were at a city-ish degree of roast. Anyway, I am going to try the two coffees again at a darker roast. I'll post my findings.

If anyone else has any info on cold brewing, and the best type of roast degree please hop in.

vickenyon

Sep 22, 2012
Los Angeles
Visit site
it's a good idea to make sure your coffee isn't too freshly roasted as the CO2 will partition into the water and you'll get carbonic acid (bitter). you can side-step this by degassing the beans prior to steeping. also, use cold, cold water and elongate your steeping time.

Bereka

Nov 24, 2014
Washington, DC
Visit site
40add374d64dd2423f2933e68c2c35f6.jpg

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
So after many batches, I have figured out that darker roasts, not too dark though, like a good Full City +, jussssst as the oils begin to emerge, but do not develop further, is best for a flavorful cold brew. Also, elongated steep time, 18 hours or so, creates a much smoother concentrate than shorter steep.

Also, as far as Nitro coffee goes, use 100% nitro at a higher PSI, ~40 or so. Do not use beer gas (75% N, 25% CO2) as the CO2 is soluble in water and creates a bitter taste.

That's what I have learned.

Jaycamp

Dec 17, 2015
Blowing Rock NC
Visit site
I agree with the FC + but I would add that we go for 24 hours on the steep. Great tip on the post roast brew...I've brewed the day of roast and it was rough. My sweet spot seems to be around 5 days of rest. Good luck.