Senseo coffee system = cool!

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone else have a black/metal clip in their water resevoir tank for the Senseo pod machine? I can't seem to get it out so I'm thinking it's suppose to be there. It's inside the tank on the right side when looking in.

Mizuno

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
cuppED said:
Does anyone else have a black/metal clip in their water resevoir tank for the Senseo pod machine? I can't seem to get it out so I'm thinking it's suppose to be there. It's inside the tank on the right side when looking in.

yes, do not remove..I believe it's the heating element for the water. To add pictures you need to host them first. I use photobucket.com..sent you a PM.

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
SystemMediumRoastPods.jpg

This is the Pod Machine with Medium Roast Pods. The cup is mine.

FlushingtheSystem.jpg

The first thing you do is FLUSH the system, you only have to do it once but I did it twice b/c you know, you ALWAYS do a courtesy FLUSH.

PodinSystem.jpg

This is the Pod in the Pod Machine.

CoffeeBrewing.jpg

This is the coffee coming out of the Pod.

Pros
Good idea, coffee came out fast
Conveniant
Good replacement for instant coffee
The taste of the coffee was OK, it was actually pretty smooth.

Cons
Coffee came out warm, not hot enough.
When I opened the coffee pod bag it had a sour/bitter smell to it
The pods are $$$. Wish there was a universal POD where we could fill our own coffee grinds with.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give this a 6.5. Would I use this instead of going to a coffee house every morning, probably not. I'd probably use this if I was up really late and couldn't find a place to get coffee, sort of like an emergency. I think it'd be great for college kids. Well, that's all folks.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I just got mine last Friday. I got the blue one it looks cool on the counter. My boss and I weren't really that impressed with the coffee. The medium roast they sent with it really seemed more like a light roast with no body. The first 2 pulls were not that hot. I think a lot of it is thermal loss in the pod head. After that it was hot enough to drink as long as we preheated the mug.

Other then that, we might pickup a verity pack of the Sumatra, Brazil, Kenya, and Columbia. For what it's worth, you can go to Walmart and pick up pods for around $17.00

Not bad for a free pod brewer, I do believe if I was going to use it all the time I would have to buy the extra large water tank, 20 ounces vs. 40 ounces.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
would not close...someone actually purchased one at work...they wanted to test the adaptor for pods..so I will play with that one...I am just sorry I didn't take a picture of mine sitting in the trash...

Caffe Latte

May 10, 2004
New York City
Visit site
Re: Got mine!

coffeepoet said:
Hey, you got a blue one? No fair. Mine's black.

I tried the MyPod ($10 at my local WalMart), and the first time it didn't stop at all, overflowed my cup, made a big mess. I haven't tried again. The strength of the coffee seems decent, comes out hot, definately better than my drip machine, but my wife doesn't like it. I think I'll just have to take it to the office for that quick fix. . . it's still no espresso maker, but it doesn't really claim to be. Wish there was an easier way of getting better coffee though. . . all there seems to be to choose from is the Senseo pods, Folgers or Maxwell House around here. . . none of these are appealing to me. Guess it's something to use before I'm awake and care how my coffee tastes. Oh well, glad it was free.

Amen to the free comment.

btw, I have blue, wish I had black. want to trade!!?

Odd that they are sending out seemingly randomly different colors. Makes me wonder if the refurbished comment is true.

anyway, here's my review, which I guess will save on posting a new link

The machine: Bigger than a traditional 4 cup drip (which I use regularly) in terms of overall foot print. water resevior in the back, drip plate in the front.

In agreement with others about the pods, seemingly weak. Tastes like...well, folgers from a can.

Pros:
*fast assed coffee if you keep the machine ON. Otherwise, it takes 90 seconds to boil, then like 30 seconds to brew. Otherwise, I would rather spend an extra minute on my auto-drip.
*pods are VERY easy clean up. no loose grinds, no whole beans to grind, just throw away a closed cloth system.
*easy to clean. the pod holders pop right out, as does the pour spout.
*Great if you want a quick cup as a pick me up

Cons:
*No counter space, hahha. ok not a fault of the machine, but I have an autodrip, an espresso, a Black and Decker Brew-in-go, a coffee grinder, and now this. IN A STUDIO APT. anyway, I digress
*WEAK coffee. not what I am used to
*creama. In a drip coffee. I don't get it.
*pods are expensive

OVERALL ASSESSMENT: Worth the money if you are generally pressed for time, don't want a bigish clean up, and you usually drink Folgers, Mawell house, etc.
Do not get it if you are more of a coffee snob and like to grind your own, and are unwilling to make your own pods (there's a way, without buying the kit mentioned above, but I don't remember how).

I probably will keep it if I can find the room to use when I just want something quick and don't care about it being a better bean.

NordstromCoffee

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
mine was free too

I just got back from Spain and was excited to see that people were recieving their machines and sure enough it was at my door when I got home. I wasn't sure when I filled out the survey. For me the coffee was bitter. The first time I tried to brew it ran down the sides of the machine. It is not a snug fit. I am also not sure how it will hold up over time. I won't be brining it to work since I work in an espresso bar but I guess it will get some use when I have friends over and am to lazy to use the mukka or my regular drip. My friends put so much sugar, vanilla, caramel and cream to their coffee it just wont matter.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am pretty sure they are sending out re-furbed machines...you could tell the way it was packed..oh and mine was broken. Oh well you get what you pay for!

JoeM

Jul 17, 2006
Visit site
coffeepoet said:
Hey, you got a blue one? No fair. Mine's black.
I wish I had black or white, the blue looks like a toy!

My take on the Senseo:
I took it out of the box, and looked through the envelope with the pamphlets and the "Tips on how to share Senseo" before setting it on my counter. It is bigger than the old Pavoni that I moved to make room for it, but a lot lighter.
I flushed the machine out, took about a minute. I opened the bag of "Medium Roast" coffee pods that came with the machine, and placed two in the two-pod holder.
The machine took about a minute to warm up and half that to make the coffee, so it definitely has speed on it's side. I wasn't very impressed with the quantity of coffee that came out in each cup- 4oz per cup is not enough, and if you make an 8oz cup a day you'll go through your pods in a little more than a week.
So, I add my cream and take a sip of the coffee. The "crema" tastes artificial to me, and is really just foamed up coffee. The coffee itself isn't that bad, but it is not as good as my drip.
A few hours later I come back and prepare to make another cup. I find a large puddle of surrounding the base of the machine- I lift it up and find it leaking from the bottom- not the resovoir, the bottom of the machine. It has continued to do this every time I use it and I am tempted to believe they are sending out refurbished machines.
The pods are expensive. I bought two packs of pods, one Senseo brand (Dark Roast) and the other a different brand (Columbian Decaf). The other brand was 50c cheaper than the Senseo, and the Senseo was on sale.
I am not as pleased with the Dark Roast as I am with the Medium Roast, it tastes stale to me, and the Columbian decaf isn't much better-slightly more flavorful.
Pros
*Quick
*Interesting looking machine
*Ease of cleanup
Cons
*Price of pods
*Leaking machine
*false crema
*less than fantastic coffee in pods

Latest posts