Starting a roastery, Advice

Ameatpopcicle

Jan 1, 2022
NE Indiana
Visit site
I'm very new to roasting, and I'm in the market for a roaster with plans to eventually launch an online brand that caters to a specific audience. I'm currently saving up for a roaster with that in mind.

If the brand is going to be successful whatsoever, I'm afraid I'll be stuck trying keep up with the demand on a small roaster. However I'm just starting out so there's still a learning curve.

I've narrowed it down, as of right now I can afford to buy a Huky 500t new. I've responded to a few people selling them, but no replies.
I've considered trying to just save for a used 2kg (to which I'm on the line for an Ambex y2) or import from China. Importing is most definitely a last resort and I've spoken to many about reputable companies with quality products.
Lastly, I suppose is to reach out to my local roasters (theres a dozen like every other city) and to see if any would allow myself to rent time in their production machines once I get to ropes down and have a customer base.

I accept that this should probably happen in phases, I'm only trying to make wise investments out the gate to save time and money in the long run.

JUNYEONG

Jan 16, 2022
South Korea
Visit site
I do not know under what conditions you chose the brand, but the most important thing is the after-sales management and roaster characteristics of the roasting machine brand. It makes a lot of difference to the outcome.

housemedic

Jan 16, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I'm very new to roasting, and I'm in the market for a roaster with plans to eventually launch an online brand that caters to a specific audience. I'm currently saving up for a roaster with that in mind.

If the brand is going to be successful whatsoever, I'm afraid I'll be stuck trying keep up with the demand on a small roaster. However I'm just starting out so there's still a learning curve.

I've narrowed it down, as of right now I can afford to buy a Huky 500t new. I've responded to a few people selling them, but no replies.
I've considered trying to just save for a used 2kg (to which I'm on the line for an Ambex y2) or import from China. Importing is most definitely a last resort and I've spoken to many about reputable companies with quality products.
Lastly, I suppose is to reach out to my local roasters (theres a dozen like every other city) and to see if any would allow myself to rent time in their production machines once I get to ropes down and have a customer base.

I accept that this should probably happen in phases, I'm only trying to make wise investments out the gate to save time and money in the long run.
I feel your pain we did the same thing some years ago and with nobody to help we had to figure everything out for ourselves. People will either jump in and give you the info that you need or keep their cards close to their chest. If you need a small machine to start we have one for sale as well as a web site as I said we are gearing ours down as I have now retired and we are moving out of the area. The best advise I can give you is that being a coffee roaster you need to be very mechanical as well as having a real interest in what you do. Buy a subscription to Roast magaizne and visit as many coffee growing areas so you can gain as much knowledge of your craft as possible to understand many areas of the industry. Sharing information in this business really helps you understand every aspect of this business. Nobody is perfect especially in the coffee roasting business. We are all so different and that is what makes this such a great industry. Good luck in your new venture.

Ameatpopcicle

Jan 1, 2022
NE Indiana
Visit site
I feel your pain we did the same thing some years ago and with nobody to help we had to figure everything out for ourselves. People will either jump in and give you the info that you need or keep their cards close to their chest. If you need a small machine to start we have one for sale as well as a web site as I said we are gearing ours down as I have now retired and we are moving out of the area. The best advise I can give you is that being a coffee roaster you need to be very mechanical as well as having a real interest in what you do. Buy a subscription to Roast magaizne and visit as many coffee growing areas so you can gain as much knowledge of your craft as possible to understand many areas of the industry. Sharing information in this business really helps you understand every aspect of this business. Nobody is perfect especially in the coffee roasting business. We are all so different and that is what makes this such a great industry. Good luck in your new venture.
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to come into this somewhat prepared. I'm very mechanically minded. I have an HVAC certification, have worked on engines of various sizes in the military, civilian sector, fishing vessels in Alaska and various hydronic systems. Roasters seem pretty simple compared to the latter. I also have a culinary degree and know my way around in various aspects of the field. (Cooking is what I naturally excelled at so I'm thinking I may pick up on this fairly well) I also have business and non profit experience so I know my way around figures and spreadsheets. regardless I plan to spend some time learning the trade, experiencing the craft, and submerging myself into the culture.

What do you have for sale and where are you located. Feel free to shoot me an email [email protected]

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well - it's a bit of a loaded question to answer which is why you don't see a lot of responses. In reality, if you're going to do this as a business vs. hobby you need at least a 5K machine. With anything smaller you will spend so much time behind the roaster your labor costs will make you unprofitable. Good starters to learn are the Huky or Qwest - both can be used as your sample roaster in the future. Once you decide on going into business - look at Mill City, USRC, Diedrich

MayaBianca

Apr 8, 2022
Florida
Visit site

Hello! I've started my roasting business two years ago from my garage :). I had no previous experience in roasting so I've opted for an automatic one that I've seen at a coffee place in an airport ( with people quitting often I was guessing must be easy to use since they purchased it). Mine is made in Italy as I do not trust the Chinese ones, and turns out it was a good choice as I have never had any kind of issues with it. The factory has an office in Florida and offer after sale services ( they are very kind, and always helpful). I am purchasing some of the green beans from them, and they helped me create my own blends free of charge. I am selling the coffee mostly online, to friends, and to some retail businesses in the area. The consistency of the coffee is very important; you have to make sure the coffee is always the same so you'll have returning customers. This business can be very profitable with a good marketing behind. Good luck to you!

Attachments

• gemma.jpg
    gemma.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 29