Storing coffee beans

CoffeeHolicMike

Jan 2, 2021
North Idaho
Visit site
If I could make a couple of suggestions...I would just suggest asking two things of Thomas Hammer: Do they remove the "expired" beans and clean the container before refilling on Fridays, and is there any way of knowing the roast date for the batch currently being sold.

I was under the impression that they do empty the "old" beans before refilling, but I could be wrong. I'll ask. I may go by there today even, so if I get an answer I'll post it. As far as cleaning the container, interesting, I hadn't even considered it. Do you think it would make a difference? They are big translucent brown hopper bins. On the roast date, I think the answer is no, I believe I've asked, but I will ask again.

BTW Mr. Peaberry, your name brings up good memories from a few years ago. I had a customer in Hawaii a few years back who grew, roasted, and sold Kona coffee. He used to send me a couple of bags of regular and a couple of bags of peaberry, along with some chocolate covered coffee beans. That made for some good mornings. I wish I had had my current coffee making equipment back then.

Mike

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that they do empty the "old" beans before refilling, but I could be wrong. I'll ask. I may go by there today even, so if I get an answer I'll post it. As far as cleaning the container, interesting, I hadn't even considered it. Do you think it would make a difference? They are big translucent brown hopper bins. On the roast date, I think the answer is no, I believe I've asked, but I will ask again.

BTW Mr. Peaberry, your name brings up good memories from a few years ago. I had a customer in Hawaii a few years back who grew, roasted, and sold Kona coffee. He used to send me a couple of bags of regular and a couple of bags of peaberry, along with some chocolate covered coffee beans. That made for some good mornings. I wish I had had my current coffee making equipment back then.

Mike

That is a great memory to have...especially the effort needed to sort out the peaberry is why you don't see much of it around. Kona fetches a pretty penny too so the fact that the hourly wage in Hawaii is much higher than in Tanzania...most common origin for peaberry....it makes sense that they can recover the expense at market. How did you lose that hookup? Divorce? Have you considered reconciliation?? Lol!!

I hope you find out good things, but mostly about the roast date. If they roast but store the beans and refill the bins...you could be getting beans that are a couple of weeks post roasting. Along with poor rotation of beans and cleaning of bins, this could really be the source of many the off tastes you are experiencing.