How much sugar do you take in a cup of coffee?

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
When I was a teenager I used a lot of sugar and a fair amount of cream, not milk. As I grew older and learned about the differences between good coffee and bad, arabica versus robusta, etc...I found a good cup of coffee not only does not need sugar but is in fact harmed by it. The nuances of the bean are buried in the excess of sugar. If you really wish to discover how your brew actually tastes add a 1.4 teaspoon of slat to the grind before brewing. The small amount sodium helps to enhance the coffee flavor without making it taste salty.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If you really wish to discover how your brew actually tastes add a 1.4 teaspoon of salt to the grind before brewing. The small amount sodium helps to enhance the coffee flavor without making it taste salty.

It that right? Do you add almost 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt to the ground coffee before brewing? How big of a pot are you brewing? That's a lot of salt.

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Major typo. It is supposed to be a quarter teaspoon per full pot at the most. The term a pinch is a bit unclear. If you taste salt you've added too much. It enhances the good oils in coffee and retards the harsh elements, at least that what the chemists say.

JoCo

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
i've never drunk coffee with sugar! ok, at least one time but that was the last time. I don't get people who shoveling sugar into their cup, in my opinion they can't enjoy coffee properly.

DorothyGonzalez

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Just 1 tablespoon of sugar ^_^.. I don’t like a sweeter taste of coffee. I love to sip the natural taste of it and it is much better if the taste was bitter sweet. YUMMY!!! :-D

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
If you want to taste the bean instead of sugar and cream buy a Technivorm and drink your coffee black. Once you start there's no going back.

Len

I'd agree with that, other than the TV part, as I'm a black coffee drinker too. But, it can be fun to add some sugar or half and half just to see what flavors they'll bring out of the coffee; it certainly does change the taste of the coffee, but coffee with a skosh of cream will present flavors you won't find when the coffee is unadulterated.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
for well freshly (in a week) roasted (Agtron 50 to 60) good coffee (pacamara, bourbon, caturra, marago) does not need any sugar.
however, when it gets too old or over roasted, I need couple of t spoons of sugar.
sometimes, I come across really bad ones, it is called rechazo, rejected beans, from processing. floaters, fermented, broken,...etc, they sell them to local cheap coffee shops (around $2 per pound). they are extremely bad. I got to put as much sugar and cream as possible to kill the coffee taste. (i had one in Panajachel yesterday.) still could not drink more than 20% of the coffee.