Best choice green beans for a French roast?

Bigfish

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm totally new here. Been looking around the net for some guidance. As I'm sure everyone else here does, I love my coffee. dark, black, strong, french roast. I've been buying 3lb bags of San Francisco brand french roast from Rogers Family co, coffee roasters. Usually buying 2-3 bags, whichever it takes to get free shipping. Avg cost around $18.50 bag. I really do like their french roast.

Now I'm thinking about roasting my own to both save money and always have the best, freshly roasted bean. My current coffee beans do lose some of that oily coating after a period of time before using up the 3lb bag.

I still have to sort out which roaster to buy. But I want to know where to start on what green bean makes a good french roast. I have no idea what bean to buy.

Feel free to throw in your thoughts on home roasters as well. My goal is to also save money long term by buying green and roasting my own. But I want quality coffee and roaster.

Kind regards and thanks for responding.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I like Indonesian coffees for French roast...Sumatra & Sulawesi mostly. As far as home coffee roasters, do you have an interest in building your own, or are you not much into DIY? Go join homeroasters.org, and you'll find lots of information there too! Best of luck and welcome to coffeeforums.com

Peaberry

Bigfish

May 31, 2016
Visit site
TY Mr Peabody. No interest in building my own. Not that I'm unable. Just not interested in doing it.

Thanks for your response!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
No worries Bigfish...actually my user name is Mr. Pea'berry', as in the type of coffee bean where the seed is one rugby ball shaped seed versus two halves, but the inspiration for the name was indeed the Rocky & Bullwinkle character you mention!

Peabody.jpg

Cheers! Mr. Peabody...er, Peaberry...lol!

Bigfish

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, that's what I get for skim reading.

Any suggestions on buying a roaster? Not interested in pan roasting. But now that you know what kind of roast I like..maybe you have some thoughts.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not into pan roasting either...here is the roaster I've been working on...

20160513_174056.jpg

I am hoping it will do close to 2lb batches, but have only roasted a test roast. I have to build a cooling tray now as my first attempt was not satisfactory...trial and error you know.

I'd look at the Hot Top if you have a little money to spend.

Peaberry

SimoneBarista

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I like to roast Brasilian coffee in French roast colour like the Natural Brasilian Santos coffe of Alta mogiana that I used to buy from the italian roasting company Mokaflor
They sell also greeen coffee in small batch of 250 gr

Simone