Giving up on Keurig, tried stove-top perc, want to try French Press

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Thanks. I did watch James Hoffman's video again. When I did use his method, I found some foam, but no crust at the top after 4 mins. But when I used that method, I was also using very coarse grind. I will try it again using medium grind.
Also, not plunging makes sense to me. Only issue is that my pot is stainless steel, not glass, so I have to estimate how far to push the plunger. But I suppose it really isn't critical, so long as the filter is below the spout, and I pour slowly.

I'm thinking of buying some Lifeboost organic beans. They're offering a 50% off coupon for first-time buyers, but after that, I really don't have the cash to spend $100 on 36oz coffee. Of course, if I add up how much i would spend at DD (forget about SB) if I purchase my coffee, the cost isn't so high, so long as I can use the entire 36oz before the beans lose significant flavor.
If I do go for some expensive beans, I will also invest in a good storage jar/can and a better grinder.

First, the foam you see after 4 minutes is just the CO2 escaping from the beans. You will want to scoop all of the foam off as well any coffee grinds floating near the top. The foam is bitter and will give you bitter coffee in your cup. It isn't like the crema you get from espresso which is good. French press foam is bad. Then put the plunger back and push it down until you see a little coffee come through the screen. Then just leave it there for the rest of the brew. I let my coffee sit after scooping the foam and grinds for another 7 minutes. I no longer get bitter coffee. Before I saw that video my coffee was always bitter from my french press. I now use it to make my wife Iced Decaf Mocha Lattes similar to what she used to get from Starbucks but with french press coffee instead of espresso. I just drink my french press coffee with some manually frothed skim milk. I heat the milk to about 140F which brings out the natural sugars in the milk and do about 2/3 coffee to 1/3 milk and foam. Delicious.

As for your grinder, it may not be your grinder that is the issue. It could be your beans. Fresh beans are key. I buy my beans from a local roaster and they tell me that when I pick them up it is usually around 3 days after the roast date. I try to use the entire pound within a month. It's critical to know when your beans were roasted. But even that may not give you bitter coffee. Since you've been plunging, I'm thinking that it could be a combination of plunging and not scooping all the foam and floating coffee grinds after 4 minutes. Keep at it. Once you get a handle on the process you'll look forward to making your coffee every morning.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
I watched James Hoffman's video yet again, and finally realized that he does not stir until after steeping 4 minutes. The other methods call for stirring gently immediately after the water has been poured in. This is probably the reason I don't see the crust along with the foam after 4 minutes.
So tomorrow morning, I'll try James's method again - to a tee.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I watched James Hoffman's video yet again, and finally realized that he does not stir until after steeping 4 minutes. The other methods call for stirring gently immediately after the water has been poured in. This is probably the reason I don't see the crust along with the foam after 4 minutes.
So tomorrow morning, I'll try James's method again - to a tee.

Yes. Give it another try. I pour the water in right off the boil. I assume you are weighing both coffee and water? Once I finish pouring the water into the carafe with the coffee, I swirl the water until I see that all of the grounds are completely immersed in the water. I then cover it and let it sit for the 4 minutes. Then do your thing with the grounds and foam. I wouldn't say it's really a "crust". But you just don't want anything floating on the top after you've finished scooping. Then, as Hoffmann says, be patient and wait for as long as you can for it sit. As he says, it will mellow and get better and better the longer you let it sit. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Yes. Give it another try. I pour the water in right off the boil. I assume you are weighing both coffee and water? Once I finish pouring the water into the carafe with the coffee, I swirl the water until I see that all of the grounds are completely immersed in the water. I then cover it and let it sit for the 4 minutes. Then do your thing with the grounds and foam. I wouldn't say it's really a "crust". But you just don't want anything floating on the top after you've finished scooping. Then, as Hoffmann says, be patient and wait for as long as you can for it sit. As he says, it will mellow and get better and better the longer you let it sit. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks very much.
I also did some research and found a roaster near me. I will buy my next bag from them, so I will know I am getting freshly roasted beans. Also, I will buy a good (air-tight) storage jar to contain my beans. The ones I am using now have seals on the lid, but do not squeeze out the air like the one I saw on one video. I guess keeping the beans stored with as little oxygen as possible is important.

Edit: I have been weighing my beans, but using the fl oz to oz (weight) factor of 1.04 to 'weigh' my water.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Thanks very much.
I also did some research and found a roaster near me. I will buy my next bag from them, so I will know I am getting freshly roasted beans. Also, I will buy a good (air-tight) storage jar to contain my beans. The ones I am using now have seals on the lid, but do not squeeze out the air like the one I saw on one video. I guess keeping the beans stored with as little oxygen as possible is important.

Yes. Having a good container that keeps oxygen out and allows CO2 to escape is good. Ask the roaster when the batch of beans you buy was roasted. I'll typically buy two pounds. I'll put one pound in my container and put the other pound still in it's bag in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Then when I'm done with the first pound I'll take the other one out of the freezer and allow it to defrost on it's own before grinding any beans.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Yes. Having a good container that keeps oxygen out and allows CO2 to escape is good. Ask the roaster when the batch of beans you buy was roasted. I'll typically buy two pounds. I'll put one pound in my container and put the other pound still in it's bag in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Then when I'm done with the first pound I'll take the other one out of the freezer and allow it to defrost on it's own before grinding any beans.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that coffee beans could be frozen.
The roaster I found nearby apparently roasts the beans on-site, shortly before you pick them up. I'll have to talk to them before ordering, as I want to discuss which beans I want for my FP.
I want to continue experimenting with the beans I have (which were purchased at BJ's) so I can get through the 'wasting' stage before starting with the expensive beans. I don't know whether this is of any use though, since I may never get a good cup from the beans I now have. But it will be good enough to make me familiar with the brewing process.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Interesting. I wasn't aware that coffee beans could be frozen.
The roaster I found nearby apparently roasts the beans on-site, shortly before you pick them up. I'll have to talk to them before ordering, as I want to discuss which beans I want for my FP.
I want to continue experimenting with the beans I have (which were purchased at BJ's) so I can get through the 'wasting' stage before starting with the expensive beans. I don't know whether this is of any use though, since I may never get a good cup from the beans I now have. But it will be good enough to make me familiar with the brewing process.

You seem to like a full flavored coffee. I'd suggest you start with either a dark roast or a medium dark roast. And only buy one pound at a time, enough for you to use wiithin 3 to 4 weeks. Don't freeze any beans yet. I only began doing that one pound at a time because I found the beans I absolutely love so this helps me avoid making a trip to the roaster every month. It's not far but i'm a lazy sod.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
You seem to like a full flavored coffee. I'd suggest you start with either a dark roast or a medium dark roast. And only buy one pound at a time, enough for you to use wiithin 3 to 4 weeks. Don't freeze any beans yet. I only began doing that one pound at a time because I found the beans I absolutely love so this helps me avoid making a trip to the roaster every month. It's not far but i'm a lazy sod.
Yes, I do enjoy a full flavored coffee, just as I enjoy full flavored beers. I am a big 'hop head' who enjoys the likes of Dogfish Head 90 and 120 minute IPA. The 120 sells for $10/12oz bottle. That's a lot more than I would ever want to pay for a cup of joe... unless maybe for the 'legendary' Blue Mountain Jamaician that I've read is the best in the world.
The beans I bought at BJ's are supposedly somewhere between med and dark roast, but not the most flavorful, even compared to DD.

Edit: I just want to say that I have not become disillusioned with my brewing method - the French Press. I have been reading here in these forums, as well as elsewhere on the www (James Hoffman's YouTube vids for example) that the FP is a great method of brewing coffee. I have taken courses in physics and chemistry over my lifetime, and can understand the complexity of brewing coffee. I have become a bit OCD with my coffee since another member of the household has been making (not brewing) coffee in a Keurig machine. The terrible taste and weakness of the coffee I was getting from that machine was what brought me here, and into the world of real coffee brewing.
I am very persistent by nature, and will not stop experimenting until I have found my perfect cup of joe. I just need to accept the fact that I will have to accept some waste as I experiment. Thus far, I have drunk every cup of joe I have brewed, regardless of its taste. I simply add a couple heaping teaspoons of Swiss Miss hot chocolate powder to the cup and all is good. After all, it still contains the caffeine I need in the morning. That said, I would really like to reach a point where I can brew a cup of joe that I can enjoy black. IMO, there should not be the need to add (sweetened) creamers to a cup of joe. But then, it's a very subjective problem, isn't it.

BTW; I have watched a YouTube vid on brewing espresso, and will never rule out someday owning an espresso machine.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Looking at grinders:
The Capresso Infinity seems like a decent choice. Has steel burr, which I have read is supposed to be superior to ceramic.
Interesting that Amazon offers two versions of this model; black and brushed silver. The price difference between the two is enormous. The black sells for $134.99, while the silver sells for $85.99.
I have never seen such a price difference based on finish. Is there something I am missing?

Edit: Or, am I better off with one of the 1Presso manual models? While the cost may be nearly the same as an electric grinder like the Baratza Encore, perhaps the manual will last longer and certainly be more quiet.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Looking at grinders:
The Capresso Infinity seems like a decent choice. Has steel burr, which I have read is supposed to be superior to ceramic.
Interesting that Amazon offers two versions of this model; black and brushed silver. The price difference between the two is enormous. The black sells for $134.99, while the silver sells for $85.99.
I have never seen such a price difference based on finish. Is there something I am missing?
\\

I hear you on the Dogfish Head IPAs. I'm not a big hops fan but the 90 minute IPA is insanely delicious and is probably the only IPA I will drink. I just heard that they also have a 75 minute that I was not aware of. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I actually found the 120 to be a bit too much for me. But love the 90.

It won't take you long to get the hang of brewing a good cup of french press. Just focus on fresh beans, ratios of coffee to water and following Hoffmann's approach. For ratio I've found that I have done well with a 1:13 ratio. So with 300 grams of water and 23 grams of coffee I can get two mugs of coffee and foamed milk. When my son wants a cup as well I'll up the amount of water to 400 grams which has me using 31 grams of coffee. I may toy with increasing the amount of coffee to 1:12 and or even more and see how it turns out. I also like a strong cup of coffee.

I'm sure there are others who can chime in on comparing the grinder you currently are using and the Capresso Infinity but I would suggest you wait on that until you've got the process down. Rule out everything else first before spending good money on something that may actually be working just fine. We all make a big deal about grinders here but honestly, grinders really only become a big deal when you are brewing for espresso. If I were a betting man I'd bet that your grinder is doing what it should be doing. And when you do decide to jump into the espresso game, be prepared to spend a minimum of $1,000 for a bare bones manual lever style set up and decent grinder. And the fancier espresso machines can easily run into the thousands all by themselves.

And as for the Keurig, we still have one and use it for those times when I'm rushed and don't have the time to spend making french press. If I may I'd suggest you try the Donut Shop Coffee. I had been drinking all sorts of different k cups and never liked the watery coffee they produced. But the Donut Shop coffee that my sister in law turned me onto I immediately said "Hey, that's not bad for a k cup."

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely agree on the donut shop coffee. It's not bad, and not so expensive as SB's. Funny that I seem to recall my first experience with SB's was when I was on a ski trip to Jackson Hole WY. I liked it, but it was too expensive for an everyday thing. The local donut shop is a good cup at a reasonable price.
Still, I kind of enjoy brewing my own. I will take your advice and go for a better bean before spending $$ on a better grinder. That said, let's see how my Cusinart DBM-8 does tomorrow, since I cleaned it this morning after using it. I was quite annoyed at its lack of consistency.

I have never tried Dogfish Head 75 minute. It's not nearly as easy to find as the 90 minute. My only experience with the 120 minute was on tap, which cost me... are you ready for this... $18 USD for a pint! That is absolutely the most expensive beer I have ever had, but IMHO, it was worth it. Pure heaven! Now I've got 4 12oz bottles of the 120 in my fridge waiting for special occasions.
I would love to get into home brewing, but I'm waiting until I've got the space and privacy. Too many people living with me now to have a brewery going in the basement.
I think I can handle the coffee brewing though.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
No luck today. I tried 2 brews (one using beans from the (previously opened) bag, and one using beans from a 'sealed' jar). These are the same beans; only that I didn't have enough space in the jars for all the beans from the bag when I opened it.

I used the James Hoffman method for both brews. My coffee had no flavor and was bitter. I poured out the first brew, but drank the second after adding some hot chocolate powder.
I am convinced that my beans are bad. I will buy some fresh beans and try again using the James Hoffman method.
But, just for curiosity, I want to try brewing with the same beans in my percolator. I will use the same coffee/water ratio and see what happens.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
No luck today. I tried 2 brews (one using beans from the (previously opened) bag, and one using beans from a 'sealed' jar). These are the same beans; only that I didn't have enough space in the jars for all the beans from the bag when I opened it.

I used the James Hoffman method for both brews. My coffee had no flavor and was bitter. I poured out the first brew, but drank the second after adding some hot chocolate powder.
I am convinced that my beans are bad. I will buy some fresh beans and try again using the James Hoffman method.
But, just for curiosity, I want to try brewing with the same beans in my percolator. I will use the same coffee/water ratio and see what happens.

What is your coffee to water ratio? If it was 1:14 you might want to add more coffee and modify your ratio down to 1:13 or even 1:12. That would potentially address the lack of flavor. Bitterness is another matter altogether. As for your ginder, how large are the grinds? I actually grind my beans fairly fine and still don't get much fines in my cup. But they say that a finer grind for french press will translate into a bitter taste. So, I wouldn't recommend you make your grind finer. While your coffee water ratio seems to be within the typical range, it is possible if you increase the amount of coffee, you could end up with a less bitter cup. It may not work but it's certainly worth a try.

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
My ratio is 1:13.8. Here is a photo of my grind:
DBM-8 Med grind.jpg
Cusinart DBM-8 set to medium.
James Hoffman says there is an app that can determine grind from a photo. I haven't looked for that app yet.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Interesting. One thing I'm seeing is just how inconsistent your grind is. There are large chunks and much smaller grind and everyting in between. You actually could be onto something with your grinder. If money is an issue, have you thought about buying a higher quality manual grinder? You'll get a much more consistent grind at a more reasonable pricepoint.