Green Bean storage

tortillatree

Feb 8, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Visit site
How long of storage are we talking? After a couple of years in burlap, the beans will start to pick up a "burlap flavor" In the Carolinas some roasters have put their beans in a moisture controlled air-conditioned room. On survival shelter sites, they claim you can keep green beans for 20 years in an underground cave-like condition (ie, 50 degrees, no sunlight, climate controlled) I'm wondering if you can freeze them for longterm. Up here in frigid Pennsylvania, it's tempting to see what would happen if they froze over winter. Would they taste like "fresh crop" 6 months later when the spring thaw came? Might have to test a few pounds this winter and see what happens... Anyone here froze their green beans before?

DirtyDave

Since moisture is resident in the green beans, and accumulated moisture is one of the few conditions that can have a deleterious effect on green beans, I'm with the majority of responders; cloth/burlap, definitely not sealed in plastic.
Keep away from direct light and off the floor (general rule for food product sanitation).

DirtyDave

A problem arises when you vacuum seal green beans.
Even if you use a valve bag, you get an accumulation of moisture.
Said moisture can then condense on the beans and create mold.
Many roasters who I have talked with experienced this when attempting to create an
airloom bean repository.