How to import coffee?

chrzan777

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am looking to import roasted coffee beans to the US, I am primarily interested in Central America, but also keeping all options open. We are just getting started and have a lack of information on how to even get started importing and selling in the US, so any help would be a great help! Thank you in advance!

Hello Sweet Sharon. I have coffee from Honduras if you are interested we have coffee grown at 5600 to 7000k feet? I live here in Honduras..but I am from the US...Texas to be exact...my family and I work here. Let me know if I can help you.

blamelessgirl

Apr 10, 2014
New Jersey
Visit site
hello Im interested in importing coffee from colombia to us

Hello sweetsharon75, we actually import green coffee from Colombia, as eldub stated roasted coffee has a shorter lifespan which makes it difficult to transport and store. We bring green beans for roasters so they sell fresh roasted coffee to their clients. If you are interested in bringing top quality green coffee beans to sell, we might be able to assist you with the importing. Let us know!

helloo, I can see you are very experienced in this kind of business, I have a contact in colombia that deal with coffee, I want to import some to NJ, I want to start from the bottom and sell it to restaurants and small coffee shops do you think I should also import green coffee instead of roasted beans? he will send me some samples of roasted beans, is it very complex to import it?

thank you very much

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Please do not import roasted coffee. If you are going to roast your own the best thing to do is start with a broker that can steer you towards excellent coffee. If you are buying roasted coffee to sell you need to find a local roaster that you can work with...good luck ;)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi everyone,

First and foremost, I thank you all for always giving me great feed backs on the topics that I've been posting on this forum.
The question that I am about to ask is how do you import coffee from Central America? I have a friend in Honduras who has a coffee plantation and has dreams of selling his product in the US. How do I help him?

importing coffee from central america is rather easy. basically, you need to find a freight forwarding company and custom brokers. freight forwarding company will contact the seller (let's say guatemala coffee exporter) and load the coffee into a container and bring them to .. let's say Long Beach Port. and your customs broker will clear the goods (that means pay tax to gov't and do other import paper works) at the LB port and your forwarding company will move the coffee to your location.

However, your friend in Honduras who has coffee farm probably does not have the permit to export coffee to other countries. so he has to hire or sell his coffee to licensed coffee exporting company in Honduras. then, that company can export to USA or any other countries.

I used to work at freight forwarding company before, i know about import / export. and now i work for Guatemala coffee exporter, so basically, .... i know bit more than few other people. glad to help.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hello Mr Tophor , may I ask you , how r you involved with the coffee subject , as to right now I am in Miami not far from Boca Raton and very interested in bringing our coffee from Colombia , home grown and processed , Thank You , Trini

easiest way of importing your coffee from colombia to miami will be contacting any of capable freight forwarding company in Miami and have them collect from your farm and ship the goods to your place. if the shipping company is big enough, they also must have customs brokers who can clear the coffee at the customs in Miami and truck them to your location. I am not 100% sure but the import duty for coffee should be 0% or very minimal duty. I used to work for a freight forwarding company long time ago, so i know it is kind of easy to get the coffee imported. if you need more answers, just let me know.
thanks

teddy

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Ethiopian coffee arabica

Hi every body ,my name tewodros our company exports arabica coffee from Ethiopia and if some one is interested to buy ,,pls contact me and here is my skype:tewodros.aregay1
Best Rgrds:coffeemug:

Hello to all, great info from the pro's, one can learn a lot thank you for being there for us. What I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND, if roasted coffee has a short life span why do the million dollar companies put an expiration date on there coffee bags let's June 2015 and it's JULY 2014. Someone explain this , please !!!!!!! We grow n process our own coffee in Colombia and ready to begin to export once we find out how to and how much to sell our product etc. Any help would b appreciateday , have a great day !!

say JUNE 2015 AND IT'SEEMS July 2014, can someone explain this

uyu

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I am working in a company in Africa, Rwanda which exports green coffee(USA,...) if you think of that region I can help.

luwakcoffee

Jul 13, 2011
Indonesia
Visit site
Greeting from Arabica Coffee Farmers from Indonesia,

Exporting green bean is sometinging a bit difficult and spending more time since the beans going to quarantined before have agreement from authority to ship. Depend to the rule applied, I think imported/exported whole roasted bean is easier for everyone.