Keurig and K-cup research

JR88

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Bad experience with Keurig....bought one k-cup maker it died like a month later.....bought another one... same thing died like a month later..... not sure why I got/wanted damn thing anyways....the k cups themselves are rather small...not a whole lot of coffee in there etc....and myself and others I'm sure like their coffee on the stronger side you know.....while at least the k cups themselves have a good assortment of decent quality blends....

However at least OP mentioned Peet's and Millstone etc xD that's some good shit haha I would categorize Gevalia up there as well. Folgers/Maxwell/8 o clock all that is pretty crappy have no idea how anyone drinks that stuff....and starbucks is overrated as hell....all their dark roasts taste stale/burnt/horrible etc....while that could be said, many other dark roasted blends end being like that too.....French roast is great example some are really damn good while others are just really piss poor haha.

Shouldn't even get/buy pre-ground anything anyways....just no comparison to freshly ground/brewed... with pre-ground you lose/lost all that complex/rich flavor to oxidation, in turn replaced with the stale/bland character....

Last edited:

sailor44

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Marie,

I am a long time keurig user. Make at least one cup a day. I have the older (pre2.0) model, and have been unhappy with the fact that it never makes a full mug even tho I set it on the largest setting. No way to adjust this. So, I just re cycle it twice and it will make a full mug that way. I did buy the 2.o hoping to fix this since thy have the 6 setting option. No good. Same problem. Plus, I discovered that they had locked out any k cups that they had not licensed! I use refillable cups so I will not o\put up with this (even tho I found way to bypass this interlock). It is a matter of principle. (No coffee maker manufacturer is going to tell me what coffee I can use in it.) So.I returned the new Keurig, and, back to the old reliable version 1.0, and a two cycle mug.

I hope this is the kind of info you need.

sailor44

Donna

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Follow up

Hi Marie, I bought a Cuisinart Keurig for my husband for Christmas. Best $200 I ever spent. It is fun and easy to use use. We got a super deal on coffee 24 k cups for $4 so we stocked up because the deal ends in 4 days but we have been buying boxes for 2 months so we have about 20 boxes. I don't think I would pay full price for the k cups so that's where the reusable k cup comes in. My kids bought the carousel and an extra reusable k cup for him so we are set. I have to say it is the best coffee I have ever made at home. Plus it comes out nice and hot. I used to have to nuke my drip coffee when it was done. Another bonus is it takes less than a minute to brew. Don't have to mess with the filter and grounds plus everyone gets their favorite flavor. We have been drinking waay more coffee than we used to though. I bought a box of wooded stirrers that I keep next to it as we were going through a lot of spoons. I also bought styrofoam cups for my son's friends because we are going through so many cups. I am seriously considering putting a change jar next to the machine! All this talk of coffee I need to go have a cup now! Oh one more thing-our tap water is awful. I fill the reservoir with water from our water bubbler that has purified water because it tastes better.

We have had our Keurig for almost 5 years now and it still going strong. I even bought one for work!

sailor44

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I will try to respond. I brew one or two cups every day. My purchase pattern has not changed, as I don't use the k cups. Figuring the cost at a couple of mugs day, it adds up. Besides I can use the reusable cups and they do just as fine a job.

Actually, I use Starbucks grounds in the reusable cups. I had another brewer brand but the selection of cartridges was not good and I could not use reusable cups in it, so I went to the Keurig. I am looking at getting the new Remington single cup brewer because it has an infinite adjustment on the size of the brew, which the Keurig does not have. I have to use two cycles of the same load to fill one mug. Not good! I probably will never buy the kcups themselves because of the price.

LeighAnne

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I love my Keurig, use mine everyday not just for coffee for hot water and tea. Can not imagine my house without our Keurig. Just saw a good priced Keurig on espaza.com as well.

blackwhite2101

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Does the k150 models really include the plumbing kits? I'm not finding that info on the keurig site, but that's what we're looking at. We have a family of 7 and i'm tired of refiling the reservoir in our current model, so we would like to upgrade

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Does the k150 models really include the plumbing kits? I'm not finding that info on the keurig site, but that's what we're looking at. We have a family of 7 and i'm tired of refiling the reservoir in our current model, so we would like to upgrade

The fastest way to find an answer to your question is to call Keurig Customer Service and ask them. This is the phone number that they have listed on their web site:

Toll-free, 7 days a week 7 am - 12 am EST
866.901.BREW (866-901-2739)

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
After seeing my brother's machine, I am definitely considering getting one just for the sake of speed and easiness. I know this wasn't the question asked by the original poster, but can anybody recommend a machine they think has the best bang for the buck?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I definitely considered getting a Keurig, but the level of environmental waste concerns me

First, I would hope that you would try other alternatives to Keurig for your single serve coffee brewing, but if you insist on Keurig, or receive one as a gift, you can use a reusable pod with paper filters or metal screen filter. You can find them here, or on Amazon by searching for EZ-Cup.

wscafe

Hi,

I'm doing some research on Keurig, and I was wondering if some Keurig owners would be willing to answer a few questions. I've posted some questions below.

Thanks, I appreciate you time!

o How often per week do you brew coffee with your Keurig machine? How has that changed over the last year?
o How has your purchase pattern of K-Cups changed in the last year?
o How long does it take for your Keurig machine to brew your K-Cup? Is that fast enough for you?
o Where do you buy your K-Cups?
o Do you own the reusable K-Cup filter? Do you only use K-Cups or have you tried other company’s beans, like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts? If so, when did you make that change and what do you think of the quality, flavor, taste, convenience compared to K-Cups?
o Did you buy the Keurig or get it as a gift? What impact does this have on usage rates?
o Have you tried other single cup brewers? What did you think? Would you buy any to replace your Keurig machine?
o How has owning/using a Keurig machine impacted your purchase patterns at Starbucks, Peets, Dunkin Donuts, etc…?
o Will you buy Folgers and/or Millstone K-Cups when they come out later this year?
Hi Marie,

It looks like a very comprehensive research for your subjects in the university. We are from Vietnam and sometimes do have inquiries of foreign students on researching Vietnamese coffee as their case study. I would like to suggest you an idea that you and your schoolmates should make an online survey which is embedded with Google Forms or Survey Monkey. It will save time and be more concerntrated. And those forms will give you full reports as well.

With my understanding, K cups is a very convenient way of enjoying coffee. It has definitely changed the way people brew coffee. However, due to its fast development, there are controversial debates which criticize that K cups generate tons of plastic wastes of its coffee capsules. Even K cups recently launched its refillable coffee capsules, but it seems the refillable is not consumed much. And K cups seems popular in North America only. Here in Vietnam, just few coffee lovers know it.

friedcoffee

Jan 12, 2016
India
Visit site
Yeah, I am also a bit sure that K cups are not healthy for environment and are affecting it. Use of Keurig machines should be done with reusable cups as environment is the first priority of every human.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The issue with "environmentally friendly" products is that the consumer only gets the part of the picture that puts the product or service in the best light with regard to sustainability. Without a comprehensive analysis of the entire process...meaning from sourcing materials, to producing products, to efficiencies in manufacturing and distribution, there is no way to know if indeed this company is offering a more sustainable alternative than the one it is "designed" to replace. K-cups are extremely inexpensive to manufacture compared with reusables cups like the EZcup, all I know is that if someone uses the reusable EZcup every day multiple times, there is without doubt a point at which the reusable overtakes the K-cup and therefore is the better choice. We just can't know where the break even point lies.