Many coffees

manuwa

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I feel like this is a stupid question but I can't find information anywhere.

If I sell espresso based drinks using more than one kind of bean (for example a Kenyan dark roast and a decaf from Columbia), do I need a separate grinder for each different bean?

I'm assuming so but the additional costs concern me as I'm wanting to offer and range of about four options (and I don't recall seeing more than one grinder in coffee shops typically - but then maybe I just haven't been looking for it).

Thank you.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "manuwa"

Welcome!

It's best to have two separate grinders - one for the regular espresso and one for the decaf espresso. There are always some residual coffee grounds left in the grinder after grinding the coffee beans. Whenever you grind the regular beans, and then grind the decaf, you'll get a little of both each time you grind and change up the selection.

It may not matter to you when you consider the expense of having two grinders, but it will matter in the end result of the espresso that you're selling.

Plus, some people who order decaf are especially sensitive to caffeine. Even the smallest amount of regular grinds can make a difference to them.

It's something to think about....

Rose

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
If you sell an espresso blend, I'm guessing you will blend the beans before grinding.

Or are you talking about a decaf espresso and also a kenyan espresso?

Not to change the subject, but you might want to study up on the coffee beans normally used for espresso based offerings. Most espressos are low acidity as well as dark roast. (Unless you will be adding milk and sweetener to every cup.) I'm not sure a kenyan would be ideal for this application.