Rancilio Silvia Pulsing pump

Mattcoffee

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello, my name is Matt and I am brand new to this forum. :razz: I came here to get some advice/opinions on a problem with my Silvia. The Silvia is my first machine, and it has been great so far. I received it new on Christmas of 2011, so it's only a little over half a year old. My problem is that lately, the pump has been making a "pulsing" sound when I pull a shot. I am able to pull a fine shot, but the noise that my pump is making is rather unsettling. The pump does appear to function correctly. It sounds normal if I am just flushing water and such. The noise occurs only when I'm pulling a shot. It sounds like the pump starts and stops quickly. Hence the pulsing noise.

Another thing that I have noticed is that during a backflush, I am not hearing the sound I remember hearing during prior backflushes. Instead of a loud, labouring sound, the pump starts and them seems to go quiet. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I have done a few backflushes in the last month, and the pump is still making the noise. I have also attempted to descale a few times. This did not help either. My machine does not have a PID and I don't use it very heavily. What do you guys think? Thanks for reading, and I hope you can help!