RocketFuel XXX!!!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Recently I got in touch with a member of this forum, coffeeloverlisa as she was/is wanting members here to give her beans a try. I asked for something espresso specific and she hasn't covered that base yet, so I went to her site at www.rocketfuelcoffee.com and looked through what she has to offer. I decided on the XXX, which is a blend of three high quality varieties of beans...... Kona, Sumatra and Jamaican Blue. Lisa was very kind to send me out a 5 oz. sample rather quickly, which was packaged nicely in a foil lined pouch and I couldn't wait to open it. The beans smelled quite nice, with no exterior oils and had a great medium roast look, kind of milk chocolate in color.

First ground some on a medium-fine setting and used that for drip, which was quite nice. Lots of body, a little bit of acidity (nice) and a mellow aftertaste. No harshness or bitterness whatsoever. I've only been drinking high quality coffee for 2-3 years now and am just getting to the point of being able to distinguish different notes and I liked what was apparent in this blend for drip.

Then onto my favorite... the spro. I pulled 4-5 doubles with it on my Cremina lever machine. It pulled nicely being about 90% crema, but the color/taste was off a bit compared to other espresso specific profiles. They were good shots, but had a bit too much acidity to really come off nicely like you get with darker roasts. The color was a bit lighter as well, but all-in-all better than I expected.

To be fair, I have severe allergies and have to take alot of meds, including Benadryl 3-5 times daily, and this can alter my sense of taste. I do give Lisa and her beans two thumbs up. Make sure you try some of her samples if she has anything left. Later!

Thanks so much Shadow745! Glad you are feeling better.

Your review will go on my blog, stuffy nose and all.

Cheers!

Lisa

Hello coffee luvers,

Have not posted in a while since starting a business is no easy task, but I thought I would drop in and tell of a new coffee in my corral that is so lovely and different, you might want to take a peak.

And it's cousin is coming to visit next month... HACIENDA ESMERELDA I kid you not!

But a couple of days ago we launched Panama Carmen Estate and this stuff is so delicious you would not believe it.

Dark chocolate, rich tones and a bitter back tongue thing with a bright fruit.

Maybe not the most technical taste description, but hey I only call 'em as I taste 'em.

And I know you will enjoy my painting on the label too.

Cheers!

Back