Staffing question

Obsidiancoffee

Sep 27, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone here have full time employees that comprise the majority of their staff?

I am about ready to open up my own shop and I''m planning on employing 4 people to work 4 10''s, two people plus myself every day. My desire is to run a tight crew of highly trained baristas and think this is the best way to attain that result. Coming from the barista side of the buisness I know how important it is to get a great team together to pull great ''spro.

Reason I ask is I seem to see a trend to employ a half dozen or more part timers. Does this not cost you in quality and repeat service what you might make up in slightly lower employee costs?

Any one see a problem with a smaller, much more dedicated staff that works full time, and only 4 days a week?

I''m all ears, I''d love your feedback.

nick

Aug 23, 2007
Toledo Ohio
Visit site
I like the idea of having some full time staff. Four seems like a lot, but if you think that you will need that much help right off the bat then go for it.

I have only part time employees. That is all I need right now. If my business grows, I may move one to be a full time manager. I guess it just depends on the type of house you are setting up. Mine is small. I keep my costs low, and no matter how busy we get (some days we get a lunch rush combined with a good flow of espresso customers), we rarely need more than three people there. I have run the place on Sundays by myself before.

Just last Saturday, there was a festival going on right in front of my store. We did over one thousand in sales with
*one employee at a booth in front of the shop selling coffee, and pastries
*on barista
*one person in the kitchen making food, and running it out to customers.
*one floater
Every one was served in a timely fashion, and never at one time did we feel 'in the weeds'.

Obsidiancoffee

Sep 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Nick,

Your system makes sense. I am in a highly densely populated area, but I'm thinking about having a part timer work the rush every morning and then just having myself and a full timer work all day.

Anybody want to chime in with advice/experience between full time and part time staff benefits/disadvantages-wise?

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
We find it works for us to have a mix of full time and part time. We vary between 9 & 14 staff members. Because you will always have some turn over, when a person leaves usually some of the part timers can pick up some shifts while you train a new one.