Stomach problems when drinking coffee?

coffeepotato

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Coffee certainly can aggravate stomach ulcers. Caffeine stimulates the stomach to produce a lot of the gastric acid and so it makes existing ulcers worse. There are also some other components in coffee that stimulate the gastric acid production so even decaffeinated coffee may make things worse.

Some people who cannot stand drinking normal coffee find that they are fine when they switch to cold brew coffee.

If you have a problem with ulcers you can also try to eat a banana with your coffee. Bananas are for some reason very good for stomach ulcers.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I have a customer locally that produces a product that she applies to the coffee that reduces the acid by 97%. It is patented by her and it is approved by the FDA. She calls it Alka Plex and calls her coffee "Soft Coffee". The application of this product does not effect the taste of our coffee, it only reduces the acid. Currently we have been roasting her coffee exclusively and so far it has not really taken off. She does have a few steady customers, but the verdict is still out. Visit my site and click on "Soft Coffee" to learn more about it. Email me if you are interested in learning more and I can put you in touch with the creator.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I think you may want to investigate your source a little more. A family member of mine told me about Alka-Plex® a couple of years ago. When I looked in to it the FDA said the ingredients were Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) but they didn't approve or disapprove of Alka-Plex.

TAMER Laboratories ( http://www.tamer.com/index.php?page_id=1 ) invented and patented Alka-Plex. The story of how it all came about can be found on http://www.phsciences.com/company/team.asp. They sell the product. TAMER links to Acid Zapper on their site selling another product that uses Alka-Plex in the mix.

Both websites however run the typical FDA Disclaimer.

Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and these products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This is not medical advice and is not intended to replace the advice or attention of health care professionals. Consult your health care provider before beginning or making any changes in your diet, supplements or exercise program, for diagnosis and treatment of illness or injuries, and for advice regarding medications.

Also the trademarks for Alka-Plex.
pH Sciences®, Alka-Plex®, pH Control®, and pH Choice® are trademarks of pH Sciences, Inc.
© 2004 - 2008 pH Sciences, Inc. All rights reserved.
Protected by U.S. and Foreign Patents and Patents Pending.

I'm not saying the stuff doesn't work. I think you should be more careful on how you word your statement to make Alka-Plex look like something the FDA has approved.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Agreed CC. I should pay closer attention to what I say. And the person I'm speaking of is the wife of the creator of this product as well as TAMER, Acid Zapper, etc. I didn't mean to open a can of worms, just wanted to mention the fact that there is a product that can reduce the acid in coffee. Thank you for adding your research and comments. And as I mentioned she does have a few customers that really enjoy the benefits of the Alka-Plex, it's just too bad its taking such a long time to get it marketed to the general public. We have been trying to help her for the past couple of years.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
It's an amazing time we live in. People can get sued for just about anything these days. I wouldn't want anyone I know to get harassed for saying something might be approved that isn't. If there's one constant in this world there is always someone looking for a quick buck.

Anyway my father likes coffee but I guess he can't handle the pH anymore. I will suggest Soft Coffee to him and maybe he'll take up coffee drinking again!