How to let beans sit???

crashbowman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I am about to start roasing and will probably start with a Wirley Pop or Poppery or both. My main question is how do you let the beans sit before roasting. I know they need to sit for 12 hours to 2 days depending on different factors, but how do they need to sit. Open air? Airtight container? Other? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
John

I use very small chairs.........

Seriously though, not sure I understand your question. I Store my beans in (jute bags for large quantitites) polyester/cotton pillowcases for small quantities, nice and breathable. When I want to roast, I just pop em in the roaster.

The beans themselves are not unhappy at this treatment, they don't need a last meal, or time to make peace with the coffee gods. I think they do get angry at around 12 minutes though when they pop like mad :-D

After roasting though, I do like to let them rest in an airtight container, or better still a container with a one way valve, like on the foil coffee pouches. Most roasts are not so good until 3 or even 5 days after roasting.

My fault, the question I meant to ask was how to store the beans (let them sit) before brewing, not roasting. From things I have read other places it is looking like you still put them in an airtight container, you just wait to brew them. Sorry for the confusion.

John

Back