What to do about campers and electric...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am just wondering...is it the cost of electricty you are worried about? I googled cost to run a laptop and if you run one 24-7 31 days it costs a wee bit above $3 a month...just curious

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. I have a feeling that the cost of electricity isn't the entire concern.

The hanging out all day and not buying anything in addition to plugging in the computer would make most shop owners become a bit frazzled. When the culprit is a creepy guy who makes the staff and customers uncomfortable ... then that's a bigger issue.

One of the problems is that no one has found the optimal way to integrate wi-fi into the coffeehouse setting. You have to agree that the wired cafe is "a different animal." It looks and sounds different from a traditional cafe, and it feels different. People also forget that free wi-fi means free wireless access to the Internet, which doesn't include using an electrical outlet.

I've seen several coffee shops that require a person to buy at least $5 worth of food or drinks before you're allowed to plug your laptop into their electical outlets. For some people, that would seem reasonably fair. Another strategy would be to require a minimum purchase for every hour spent in the store, which would be difficult to keep track of.

However, it appears that the best solution is to either cover the electrical outlets, so people can't plug in their computers, or post a sign saying that people can't plug in. It sounds like the sign idea (discussed previously) is working.

At some point you'll need to deal with wi-fi campers (they're also called laptop campers or table campers). The problem is how to deal with them so you don't lose their business or lose other customers because of them.

How about offering two hours of free wireless access per day and then after that, having it cost $3.99 for a two-hour session? Has anyone tried something like that?

The people who come to most coffee shops represent a wide range of socioeconomic strata. Some are students living off of loans. Some are professionals. Some are homeless. Some are middle class American tourists visiting from out of town. Some are parents. And some are seniors living off of fixed incomes. As a result, there is a great diversity in what the patrons are reasonably able to pay for your services.

You want your cafe to be a warm, inviting, and inspirational space where people could come to get their work done, hang out with friends, and drink great coffee. Putting restrictions on what people can do while they are there would undermine that mission. You want them to feel welcome and comfortable, but the problem is where (and how) do your draw the line?

Rose

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
topher said:
I am just wondering...is it the cost of electricty you are worried about? I googled cost to run a laptop and if you run one 24-7 31 days it costs a wee bit above $3 a month...just curious

Thats way low. The easy way to find out how much power your laptop would use in one month if always left on is to look at the power adapter. Some will tell you the input wattage but most will just give you line voltage and amperage. You can use a Ohms Law Calculator to figure out what the input wattage here. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... hmslaw.htm

My wifes little Toshiba Satellite A135-2386 that I'm posting on list 120V 1.5A. So roughly the laptop consumes 180W/hour. If left on for a month it would consume about $10.50. Now if you go to Toshiba's website they are more then happy to tell you it only uses 65W which is true. But thats 65W at 19V 3.42A output. Its the input that you have to figure. I used to do a lot of PC work before I switched over to coffee world.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Before the guy plugged in, he would only be here about 45 minutes... that has stretched into 4 hours or nose and ear picking fun. The cost really isn't the issue. I don't know a lick about electricity, so I have no idea what his laptop really costs us anyway. I didn't think it would be a lot, but I was just curious. To be honest, I figured if we took away the power it would limit his time here. I don't want the guy to come back--ever.

The main issue with this guy are his habits of picking his nose and ears, and sometimes the materials he leaves behind (strip club flyer). He is not discreet about the picking and probably has no idea. Customers have gotten up and left because of it. I just don't know how to address it.

And, yes, he is creepy. The guy who owns the place next to me came in and immediately knew who he was. When I go into the back, I have a female employee who grabs a knife because she is sure he is going to do something. Part of the reason of why I don't say something is that we're all afraid of what he'll do.

When there are a bunch of people in here, it doesn't seem so bad, but when its just me and another chick I worry. Then again, that's also a bunch of people seeing him pick away.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Ah hell, just get a video camera and record him plugging his laptop in. Call the cops and report him for theft of services. You have already warned him so he really can't play stupid.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Well, he didn't plug in today. So, that's a plus.

I think the next time anything happens, we will just toss him. Its not worth the aggravation.

Someone told me to tell him he's the millionth customer and give him a gift card to Sbux as the prize. LOL