What to worry about?

G

Hi Im Naomi, my friends call me nay nay. I do not like physcial activities other then dancing, volleyball and of course HOTT MONKEY LOVIN!!

I was wondering what health issues are plauge coffee drinkers? does it make me short? yellow teeth? what other things might happen?

G

I wrote a report for my english class last semester on caffeine health. All that I recall from that was there is a lethal dosage of caffeine, some countries consider it a drug just the same as any methamphetamines, and that it is the highest studied household substance.

I concluded in the report that if caffeine was realy that bad for us, the calculation of habitual caffeine users in the US alone would quickly show congruency in medical records that points out any major debilitating affects of the substance.

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Nay Nay please leave your bestial tendencies out of here, I'm trying to drink my coffee here. :lol:

Masterboy that is very interesting. I was wondering, did you happen to find out anything about coffee/caffeine lowering chances of heart disease? This was just one claim I had heard on the radio recently.

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
My personal experience with caffeine and health.

2 years ago I was in las vegas --the town that never sleeps--, and i got no sleep. I drank 20-30 some red bulls and other assorted caffeineated drinks including jolt, and the free coffee the hotel was providing when they'd let me get my hands on a cup of it =).

So getting on with my story. After 50-60 hours of being awake I started hallucinating ... thats when Las Vegas became interesting. hehe everyone was my friend and i totally was tripping out at the strip.
I ran into an authority figure though and started up a conversation with him. His reply was to ask me how much speed I had done that night AHHAHA, my eyes were diallated and I probly was acting like I was on speed, so the end of my story was he forced me back to my hotel room and I had to get some sleep.

Definatly a scarey thing to happen, but never the less I know more about caffeine and my body after it all =).

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
Coffee Drinkers

Coffee Drinkers Beware coffee may cause disruption of sleep, increased activities and more fun. I've seen many people with yellow teeth in the coffee shop but this is when the Crest White Strips come into play to take care of this, but then again I don't know if they also smoke with their coffee....

My caution goes with Rowleys post, be cautious with caffeine and overdoing it all at once. I had tests a while ago and I was hooked on the caffeine from coffee and other drinks. I studied for 3 days staying up and I ran out of caffeine I slept in a bit and when I got up I couldn't remember what I studied the days before. It came to me later in the test but I had true caffeine withdrawls for the next few days. I was dead sick and couldn't do anything. :evil:

CakeyPantsJack

Apr 21, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
Yello,

I did a lot of research for an article on my coffee related website. All i found was that there is not enough conclusive research on the health issues related to coffee drinking.

Actually i ran into a few articles that mention the health benefits of 2 or 3 cups (no more then 4!) of coffee per day. In one study it was shown to improve mental alertness, which led to better scores during the testing.

I also ran into articles about blood presure and heart issues as well. IT seems pretty inconclusive and most of the research could be affected by other things in a given persons life. Some studies indicate that coffee 'abusers' also enjoy things like smoking, fast food, and stress, so no one knows at this point.

Personally, i love coffee, but the caffiene really does a number on my, if i drink to much :)

JACK....

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Coffee and Health

One would think that if coffee were really bad stuff, it would be known by now. Aside from some folks with arrythmias, it appears to be relatively innocuous, if not beneficial stuff.

Some epidemiological studies have shown a protective effect of coffee against Parkinson's disease, and, even death, itself!

Personally, I find it life enhancing, even invigorating! It's one of my favorite "smart drugs." (Others being tea, chocolate, and wine!)

Like anything else, there is danger of excess- especially with something so good tasting and stimulating! Make sure you allow for adequate sleep! I've found I have developed an amazing tolerance to the insomnia inducing power of coffee, to the point where I can sleep soundly (except for fluid return breaks) even after many cups late at night!

Judge for yourself! :)

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
A Find on the Net Regarding Coffee- Oh, Myth!

It Doesn't Cause Cancer... It's Not Addictive...Nor Fat-free ...the Myths And Facts About Coffee
2003 September 09 Printer-friendly format Email this article to a friend

By AMY ANDERSON

AN AUSTRALIAN study claims that coffee can increase stamina and help weight loss. It, most health experts warn against drinking it. So what is the truth about coffee? AMY ANDERSON separates myth from fact . . .

Coffee is fat-free - MYTH AFTER brewing, espresso coffee contains 2.5 per cent fat. Filter coffee contains 0.6 per cent. It's mainly the milk or cream taken with the coffee that adds fat.

Coffee makes you more physically active - FACT CAFFEINE - the main active ingredient in coffee - acts as a mild stimulant on the central nervous system. This, in turn, is responsible for boosting alertness when individuals are tired - during nightshift work, on a long journey, or after lunch when the body's circadian rhythm is at its lowest. It is also why drinking coffee before taking part in sport can make you perform better.

Coffee is just a quick stimulant - MYTH THE stimulant effect of coffee peaks in the blood 15 to 45 minutes after drinking - but may persist for hours. How fast your body deals with caffeine depends on your metabolic rate, but its expulsion is slowed by pregnancy, medications such antacids and the Pill.

It's always hard to give up coffee - MYTH A TINY percentage of the population, who may be sensitive to the mild stimulant effects of caffeine, may experience withdrawal symptoms, such as headache and lethargy, if they suddenly stop drinking coffee.

These symptoms can be avoided by cutting down gradually over a few days.

Most people just feel slightly less alert in the mornings when they stop drinking coffee.

Drinking coffee is an aid to weight loss - FACT CAFFEINE has been shown to lead to a temporary increase in the metabolic rate and the rate of fat breakdown. Although increases in energy expenditure caused by caffeine are small, they may be of benefit in some weight loss programmes.

Coffee can make you more mentally alert - FACT CAFFEINE can boost the speed of rapid information processing by 10 per cent, and a cup of coffee after lunch helps to counteract the 'post-lunch dip' in ability to sustain concentration. It can also make you less drowsy when you have a cold, and can stimulate sensory nerves.

Coffee is certain to make it hard to sleep - MYTH THE effect of caffeine on the ability to fall asleep differs hugely between individuals. Some people who drink coffee in the evening find they have no problems sleeping; others find its stimulant effect means it takes them much longer to fall asleep.

However, a higher proportion of poor sleepers than good sleepers appear to metabolise caffeine particularly slowly. This is why doctors often recommend that people who are having problems getting to sleep refrain from drinking coffee in the late afternoon or early evening.

The darker the roast, the stronger the coffee - MYTH THE darkness of a coffee roast depends on how long it has been left to roast for, and lighter roasts often have a stronger flavour.

Darker roasts are more acidic, which can make the taste better or worse, depending on your personal preference.

Coffee is a diuretic - MYTH WITH normal consumption of three or four cups a day, studies have found the diuretic effects of coffee to be negligible.

It's only when there's a high intake that appears to have a diuretic effect.

Drinking coffee causes cancer - MYTH THOUSANDS of research projects have been carried out to investigate any links between coffee consumption and the development of cancer. In 1997, the World Cancer Research Fund published a comprehensive review of diet and cancer. It stated: 'Most evidence suggests that regular consumption of coffee and/or tea has no risk of cancer at any site.' Some studies have found that a freshly brewed cup of coffee may actually help your body to fight cancer. Antioxidants in both regular and decaffeinated coffee - many of which are produced during the roasting process may have beneficial effects.

Antioxidants can reduce levels of damaging free-radicals and have been shown in studies to have both cancer and age-fighting effects.

Coffee causes Parkinson's disease - MYTH CONSUMPTION of increasing amounts of coffee or caffeine is associated in studies with a significantly lower incidence of Parkinson's disease - a condition which affects a region of the brain causing a tremor of the hands, an abnormal gait, rigidity of the legs and arms, and often altered mental function.

Coffee can be used as a beauty treatment - FACT THE Japanese have been known to bathe in coffee grounds fermented with pineapple pulp to reduce wrinkles and improve skin.

Coffee can cause high blood pressure - MYTH HABITUAL coffee drinkers have been shown to have a similar blood pressure to non- coffee drinkers. However, some people who have not consumed coffee for a period of time and who then start to drink coffee may experience a small, short-term rise in blood pressure. This rise would be no greater than that experienced when engaging in active conversation or laughing.

Drinking coffee may raise cholesterol levels - MYTH RAISED cholesterol levels have been shown to be responsible for heart disease. However, the only method of brewing coffee which is known to have a significant effect on cholesterol levels is the Scandinavian 'boiled' method, where the coffee grounds are boiled with water and then served without filtering.

Drinking coffee may lead to osteoporosis - MYTH IT HAS been suggested that osteoporosis, a disease which causes crumbling of the bones, may be exacerbated by drinking coffee, because caffeine causes calcium to be excreted from the body, so weakening the bones.

However, a UK Government report on nutrition and bone health concluded that such concerns were not well founded.

Indeed,because many people drink their coffee with milk - an important source of calcium drinking coffee may contribute to total calcium intake.

Copyright: (C) 2003 Daily Mail. via ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I wish coffee was deadly...I would drink a gallon of it right now so thats I wouldn't have to read another sentence about how people "think" coffee is bad for them! If you think it is bad don't drink it...more for me! Does it turn you teeth yellow...hell yeah it does....so brush em'! Personally I have yellow teeth(hazards of the job)....get them cleaned regularly but then I go to work and stain em'...to the guy who drank 25 red bulls...next time drink em with vodka and you will be able to sleep!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Well it has been a long time since I poured espresso on my stomach(dont ask!!)...but I guess it does...words to live by...its better in ya than on ya! I think that was what the lady who sued Mcdonalds says! 8)

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Coffee Stomach!

javagirl81 said:
Does espresso/coffee ever bother anyone's stomach?

Yeah, early in the morning. If I drink coffee really early, I does make me kinda queasy, so I usually drink tea till about 9 or 10 AM. Then, for some reason, I can drink unlimited coffee, and, I think, it even makes my stomach feel better!

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
notmuffy said:
I was wondering, did you happen to find out anything about coffee/caffeine lowering chances of heart disease? This was just one claim I had heard on the radio recently.

"A Scottish Heart Health study, examined people who drank large amounts of coffee or tea. Those who drank coffee had healthier hearts than those who drank tea, which seems to go against the popular opinion that tea is better for you than coffee. The researchers were quick to point out that they did not take lifestyle or diet into account for this study. "

"Cafestol and kahweol. Odds are you’ve never heard of these two substances, which are found in the oils in ground coffee.
And, as long as you drink instant or filtered drip coffee (which most home coffee machines make and most restaurants and coffee houses serve), odds are they’re not raising your LDL (“badâ€