Newbie from Vietnam looking for some advice

weaselcoffee

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!

My name is Ed and I am from the UK but I have lived in Saigon, Vietnam for 5 years with my wife and son and have come across this site will learning and researching coffee, i hope the experts here and everyone else can throw some advice my way.

Before I start, i am not here trying to sell I am here for much needed advice.

A few months ago I was introduced to a farmer from the Central Highlands, a very humble poor man who had a Civet farm in the Dak Nong. He explained about Kopi Luwak coffee and how he was trying to establish himself as a Kopi Luwak coffee farmer. However due to the amount of fake 'Weasel Coffee' in Vietnam he was struggling to sell his rare authentic coffee. There are companies here that mimic the enzyme in a Civets stomach, they isolated only 1 compound out of 89 in the civets intestines and call it 'Weasel Coffee' and sell it at 5% of the cost of the original stuff such as Trung Ngueyns Legendee coffee, which is fake and does not taste anything like original Kopi Luwak/Ca Phe Chon.

So over the months I have visited the farm and seen the place to be the real deal, the civets live wild in a 3km square coffee plantation within the jungle eating beef and coffee berries. I have seen them collecting the dung which is done within 12hrs as they have 30 workers, they then wash, dry in the sun and roast the beans (they have perfected this for 12mths) package in foil bags with 1 way valve, and ship to Saigon within 24hrs roasting. 5 batches have been sent to Hanoi and have been tested for bacteria etc and all came back showing lower levels than standard Arabica coffee. They have all their government permits and I have seen everything from start to finish, i have had a professional video shot from start to finish process but have a few questions.

1. What are peoples thoughts on Civet coffee if it has been processed correctly and the civets are in the wild, not caged. I do not condone cages at all and have only seen 1 cage at the farm and they said that was for transporting.

2. Is there much market for authentic civet coffee in Europe/USA etc?

3. Do i need public liability insurance to sell coffee online/ebay etc?

4. What questions should I be asking my farmer/his Vietnamese partner?

5. Have you ever had civet coffee and what were your thoughts! Personally i loved the taste, smooth and a nice chocolate aftertaste. Like something i had never had before.

6. Would there be much interest for Vietnamese coffee, Robusta, Arabica etc?

Thanks guys, i look to find much useful information within the forums:)

Ryanbottom

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
What are peoples thoughts on Civet coffee if it has been processed correctly and the civets are in the wild, not caged. I do not condone cages at all and have only seen 1 cage at the farm and they said that was for transporting.

krishpaskel

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
it has been processed correctly and the civets are in the wild, not caged. I do not condone cages at all and have only seen 1 cage at the farm and they said that was for transporting.

Pejackson

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Weasel coffee

There seems to be more interest in europe and canada than in the US. We get inquiries at weaselcoffees from europe all the time. Our weasel coffee comes in very small quantities from otherwise well-fed and cared for family pets! They really do love their weasels!