What coffee are you drinking right now?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Today I tried my first green coffee from a different region and it's really good. So my new coffee is from Javataza and they have many different flavored coffee so I can't wait to try them all :coffee:

Chrisyx21,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you tried green coffee. Green coffee needs to be roasted before grinding and brewing it. Do you roast your coffee at home?

DorothyGonzalez

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I am drinking my all time favorite the Illy’s coffee! I love the taste of this coffee that’s why I am drinking this for almost 4 years. It really gives me the best taste of coffee that I wanted everyday. ;-)

IDrinkPurelyCoffee

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Illy's do make nice coffee, DorothyGonzalez.

This week I've had medium freshly roasted Indian Malabar, hand ground and in a drip coffee maker. So smooth. I also enjoyed Carrefour Espresso, which was pushed through an Aeropress. Surprisingly good.

Kenneth

ChicagoJohn

Dec 2, 2014
Chicagoland
Visit site
Answer: Eight O'clock Original; a medium roast. I grind two scoops (about 42 gm) six seconds (medium grind) in my small, electric Krups grinder for four cups in my Mister Coffee drip coffee maker using one paper filter. I am buying my beans from Amazon.com in 42-once bags. Upon receipt, I split them up into food-save freezer vacuum sealed bags of about 12 ounces each and store them in a freezer prior to use. When I open them, I poor them into a 32 oz plastic (polyethylene) container with an airtight seal and store this in the freezer. Each morning, I quickly take out the two scoops and re-seal it immediately. When empty, I refill it with a new vacuum sealed bag of frozen beans.

As a chemist, I disregard the misinformation that "freezing breaks down the essential oils" (lower temperature equals lower kinetic energy and retarded oxidative degradation rates), recognize the importance of reducing ambient oxygen concentration (vacuum sealing), and realize that unless cold beans linger in humid conditions, a freezer is very low in absolute humidity (e.g., "freezer burn") and thus very low in moisture exposure even if some condensation should temporarily occur.

My main concern is the time lapse between the roasting process at the factory and my receipt of the beans. I have had some 42 oz bags from Amazon that have made fantastic coffee and other bags (12 oz) that have been more acidy-tasting. The appearance of the beans is indistinguishable, and I attribute the difference to age (oxidative degradation of extractable components).

This issue is what motivated me to join these forums: After finding a brand of roasted beans one likes, how does one minimize variation from purchase to purchase? I am convinced my handling and storage system after receipt is optimum.

Where on the forum is this issue discussed?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
This issue is what motivated me to join these forums: After finding a brand of roasted beans one likes, how does one minimize variation from purchase to purchase? I am convinced my handling and storage system after receipt is optimum.

The best way to minimize variation of the roasted coffee that you purchase is to find a local roaster and purchase your coffee only from that local roaster. The coffee that you select will have a good chance of being roasted the same way each time. It will be fresh, and you won't have to wonder how old it is.

Rose

ChicagoJohn

Dec 2, 2014
Chicagoland
Visit site
The best way to minimize variation of the roasted coffee that you purchase is to find a local roaster and purchase your coffee only from that local roaster. The coffee that you select will have a good chance of being roasted the same way each time. It will be fresh, and you won't have to wonder how old it is.

Rose
That had occurred to me, Rose, and after reading your reply, I found two in this area I may try. With Eight O'clock, I'm paying $0.42 an ounce including shipping. I wouldn't mind paying twice that if I liked it and if it were reliable. I will look into your suggestion although small batches may be subject to more variation inherently. Is this what you do?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
John,

Yes, several years ago, I found a roaster that I like, and I spent one whole summer trying out all sorts of roasted coffees (I would buy 1/2 pound of four different coffees at a time). Papua New Guinea coffee has been my favorite for quite some time now, and that's what I buy on a regular basis. The coffee is roasted fresh, and since it's a "best seller" at the roaster, I know it hasn't been sitting around long after roasting. They roast in small batches, and I haven't had a problem with "variation" - except one time when they accidently gave me the dark roasted beans, when I always get medium roasted beans. I noticed the difference immediately.

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
Good morning, all. It's a lovely, rainy winter morning and I'm enjoying a fire in the fireplace along with a hot mug of Peet's Holiday Blend. It goes quite well with the day...... :)

IDrinkPurelyCoffee

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
After finding a brand of roasted beans one likes, how does one minimize variation from purchase to purchase? I am convinced my handling and storage system after receipt is optimum.

One of the interesting assumptions in the post is that the brand does not vary. They often do. I do remember buying one excellent bag of beans from a well known brand and thoroughly enjoying the coffee; went back some months later to buy another bag, and was sorely disappointed. This has happened a few times as well over the years with some mass market brands and some premium brands. I figured that the beans were actually lower quality (it was at a time when coffee prices were bouyant).

Also @ $3.30 per 8oz bag, this doesn't suggest that you're finding the best quality coffee beans. If you do find a local roaster, then you will definitely end up paying more. One of the interesting things about Amazon is that local roasters don't really use Amazon because Amazon seems to require stocking of products. IOW, it would be difficult for them to maintain fresh quality roasting while supplying Amazon.

However, why not embrace variety? Instead of looking for consistency in brand, why not look for the more esoteric qualities in a cup of coffee and enjoy the variety of coffee each and every morning? There are some really excellent recommendations in this thread.

Best Wishes
Kenneth

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
every morning in Quetzaltenango at 7 am, when they open, I go to &cafe (yes, that is name of company, &cafe, like "N"cafe) and drink cafe percolado (#5 photo). &cafe is second biggest coffee chain store in Guatemala. Normally, big coffee farm owners make retail coffee chain stores and provide them with their own beans. and some of them became a big and good chain store. &cafe is a perfect example.

almost every month or twice a month, they introduce new coffee from their farms (blended or single varietals) and they really know what they are doing.
Service, quality of coffee are excellent.
#1 photo : counter photo
#2 : some of their specialty beans
#3 : me and Shirley
#4 : me and Alex (yes, Tocayo which means we both have same name)

BTW : Shirley is a graduate from our Barista Program 4 month ago. for Alex, he wants to learn about cupping, so he is saving up some money.

View attachment 2768View attachment 2769View attachment 2770View attachment 2771p

Amsoillarry

Oct 24, 2014
Texas gulf coast
Visit site
every morning in Quetzaltenango at 7 am, when they open, I go to &cafe (yes, that is name of company, &cafe, like "N"cafe) and drink cafe percolado (#5 photo). &cafe is second biggest coffee chain store in Guatemala. Normally, big coffee farm owners make retail coffee chain stores and provide them with their own beans. and some of them became a big and good chain store. &cafe is a perfect example.

almost every month or twice a month, they introduce new coffee from their farms (blended or single varietals) and they really know what they are doing.
Service, quality of coffee are excellent.
#1 photo : counter photo
#2 : some of their specialty beans
#3 : me and Shirley
#4 : me and Alex (yes, Tocayo which means we both have same name)

BTW : Shirley is a graduate from our Barista Program 4 month ago. for Alex, he wants to learn about cupping, so he is saving up some money.

View attachment 2768View attachment 2769View attachment 2770View attachment 2771p

There are some really fine examples of the "geisha variety" coming out of Guatemala this year! You should look for some if those to try!
I ordered one from Lacolombe.com that was fantastic!

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
This morning it's a mug of Three Peckered Billy Goat by Raven's Brew Roasters. To my palate, it's not quite as flavorful as their blend called Deadman's Reach but good, nonetheless.